This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2064 / 53°12'22"N
Longitude: -3.711 / 3°42'39"W
OS Eastings: 285823
OS Northings: 369067
OS Grid: SH858690
Mapcode National: GBR 67.25AF
Mapcode Global: WH65K.ZN1S
Entry Name: Plas yn Trofarth
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21482
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The farmhouse stands on the E side of a farm road 100m N of the minor road between Pentre Isaf and Gell, approximately 2.5km NW of Llangernyw village centre.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late C16 two unit, end chimney, storeyed farmhouse, possibly originally timber framed, with contemporary roof and first floor structures, and plank-and-muntin partitions. Absence of smoke blackening on roof structure suggests an open-roofed chamber and enclosed fireplaces throughout. External chimney stack attached to NE gable end demolished and replaced with gable chimney before 1953. Windows enlarged and replaced, walls rendered and painted after 1953. SW gable stack also rebuilt after 1953. C16 stone arched doorway with nailed and boarded door and C19 porch removed before 1974.
Two storey vernacular farmhouse, rectangular on plan. Built of local stone rubble on offset rubble plinth and painted roughcast render on elevations; Welsh slate gabled roof with clayware ridge and C20 gable stacks. Symmetrical front elevation, facing SE, has 3 bays of C20 steel casement windows with a central C20 lean-to porch with side entry.
Fine C16 3-bay arch braced collar roof with raking struts above collars, butt purlins and cusped wind braces. Later attic floor with single full-length axial beam. C16 first floor structure framed in 3 bays with two transverse beams, one on N side has monogram IHS carved in low relief in a sunk panel. C16 plank and muntin partitions on ground and first floors, mostly covered with later plaster finishes.
Listed notwithstanding later alterations as a late C16 farmhouse that remarkably retains its original roof structure and internal features of architectural and historic importance, particularly its plank and muntin partitions.
Other nearby listed buildings