This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1091 / 53°6'32"N
Longitude: -3.4069 / 3°24'24"W
OS Eastings: 305918
OS Northings: 357805
OS Grid: SJ059578
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.80X7
Mapcode Global: WH77F.M3WT
Entry Name: Hearse-house at Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 June 1999
Last Amended: 17 June 1999
Source ID: 21869
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located some 50m S of the parish church of St Mary, at the southern boundary of the churchyard.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Hearse-house erected at the expense of Edward Owen of Fachlwyd in 1823.
Rectangular gabled hearse-house of rubble construction with slated roof. Wide segmentally-arched entrance to the front (road-facing) gable, with rough-dressed voussoirs. Original chamfered and pegged oak frame and boarded pine doors, the latter with vertical vents cut into them and with restored lower sections. Above the entrance is an inset rectangular sandstone plaque with the inscription: 'This hearse-house was erected and given by Edward Owen Esq. of Fachlwyd for the use of this parish, 1823'.
Plain interior to hearse-house.
Listed for its special interest as a dated first-half C19 hearse-house, providing good group value with the Parish Church of St Mary, its churchyard walls and lychgate. An especially well-preserved example of a relatively scarce building type.
Other nearby listed buildings