This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.882 / 51°52'55"N
Longitude: -3.8577 / 3°51'27"W
OS Eastings: 272229
OS Northings: 222012
OS Grid: SN722220
Mapcode National: GBR Y1.RRR6
Mapcode Global: VH4J0.2YYN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 19 July 1999
Last Amended: 19 July 1999
Source ID: 22000
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of Gwynfe village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Anglican parish church of 1898-9 designed by E H Bruton of Cardiff and built by Daniel Price of Llangadog at a cost of £1,955. Foundation stone laid and pulpit given by St Vincent Peel of Danyrallt. The previous church of 1812 survives as the church hall. John Harries of Llandeilo made plans for rebuilding in 1871-2, rejected by the Incorporated Church Building Society.
Anglican church, rock-faced squared red Sawdde sandstone with grey Forest of Dean stone dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel under single roof, with SW porch-tower and NE vestry. Free Perpendicular Gothic style. Coped gables with cross finials.
S side has 2 bays differentiated as chancel by single buttresses and raised window sills. Two chancel windows are 4-centred arched and 3-light. Nave has one similar but longer and one pointed 2-light window. All have varied tracery to heads and there are sill courses to both nave and chancel.
Tower is square in plan, undifferentiated between plinth and ashlar embattled parapet. Large ashlar gargoyles. Plain flat-headed 3-light bell-lights with hoodmould. Mid-height square S window with quatrefoil tracery, and small light to E side. Ground floor has S segmental-pointed moulded doorway, E flat-headed 2-light window. Segmental pointed inner door within and door to tower stair. Stair is in small octagonal angle turret rising only to mid-height of tower, with plain ashlar parapet and two small lights in SW face.
Nave W end has stepped mid buttress, high battered plinth, two segmental-pointed traceried 2-light windows with deep hoodmoulds, and a small rose window over the buttress. Ashlar band in gable apex.
N side has three bays to nave, divided by buttresses, each bay with 3-light segmental pointed window. Chancel has gabled vestry with N octagonal ashlar stack and single lights each side, door on E side. One chancel single-light to left of vestry.
E end has diagonal buttresses with gabled caps, high sill-course under 5-light 4-centred window.
Single broad interior with plastered walls and 5-sided roofs, nave roof open-rafter, chancel panelled and boarded. Division of nave and chancel marked by a 4-centred arched truss on corbels. Three-steps up to chancel, with dwarf ashlar walls, tiled chancel floor with 2 steps to sanctuary, one to altar. Segmental-pointed arch to N organ recess and vestry. Left S window has sill dropped as seat. Traceried square-headed piscina to left.
Fittings: plain monolith octagonal font and base. Ornate ashlar pulpit by Clarke of Llandaff, Gothic panelled with canted angles, moulded cornice and base, carried on squat round column with grey Forest of Dean stone attached shafts. Panels of sides are infilled in several shades of pink alabaster. Brass lectern. Chancel stalls in pitch pine with openwork band of quatrefoil panels. Altar rails with twisted iron standards and ornate scroll brackets. Timber screen to vestry with pierced brattished cornice. In vestry a re-used panelled pew and coffin bier. E end has full-width highly ornate tiling under painted stone cornice, gabled over centre cross feature in tiles. Under cornice yellow tiled band with 'Myfi yw bara y bywyd' in blue letters. Tiles below have moulded embossed cornice over square tile panels with quatrefoils framing squares with 5 repeated symbols on pale blue (corn, crown of thorns, lilies, rose and chalice). another embossed course below, above dado of pointed-arched panels with tall floral motifs on pale blue grounds. Arabesque patterns in brown and cream between, and course below of brown panels with fleurs-de-lys over moulded brown plinth.
Stained glass: E window 5-light, the Annunciation across 2 left lights, Good Shepherd centre, Nativity to 2 right lights, 1899 to I C B Lewis of Gwynfe House, by Robert Newbery.
Monuments: S wall neo-Grec plaque by P Rogers of Swansea to the Rev. Lewis
Lewis of Cwm Clydach, d 1826.
Included as an ornate late C19 church with unusual interior detail, notably the fine tiled reredos.
Other nearby listed buildings