History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gwynfe Church Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangadog, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8818 / 51°52'54"N

Longitude: -3.8573 / 3°51'26"W

OS Eastings: 272256

OS Northings: 221991

OS Grid: SN722219

Mapcode National: GBR Y1.RRVK

Mapcode Global: VH4J0.3Y4S

Entry Name: Gwynfe Church Hall

Listing Date: 19 July 1999

Last Amended: 19 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22001

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in the churchyard of All Saints' Church, in Gwynfe village.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Locality: Gwynfe

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Twyn Llanan

History

The former church of Gwynfe, now church hall. Built in 1812 and used as church hall after the present church was built in 1898-9. Proposed for rebuilding in 1871-2 by John Harries of Llandeilo but plans rejected by Incorporated Church Building Society. The vicar then said that the walls were tottering and the roof partly fallen in. The ICBS papers contain a report on the interior in 1871 by R K Penson with sketches showing the altar as a side table 'with 2 drawers full of black lead, dusters and sardine boxes'. The E window had Y-tracery, the transept was separated from the nave by a screen of 2 flat wooden arches, there was a 'pretentious' wine-glass pulpit, and the largest pew had a fireplace. The church was repaired in 1878 and a painted glass window 'by the newly discovered vitrimonic process' inserted, by Mrs Lewis of Gwynfe House.

Exterior

Church hall, former church. Rubble stone with slate roof and later W bellcote. Small single chamber with big centre porch to S and one arched window each side is probably original building, big NE wing presumably the transept mentioned in 1871. W end is rendered with one arched window, wooden Y-tracery. Bellcote has stone sides and slate gabled roof, and is possibly rebuilt since 1900. S side has small arched window with stone voussoirs and C20 glazing each side of broad stone porch with arched entry and low-pitched roof. Two benches and boarded door within. E end arched window with wood Y-tracery. NE wing to right has similar arched window with Y-tracery and then door with pointed brick head. Windowless N end and W rear outshut with N door. N wall of original building is windowless.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a rare surviving example of a small early C19 church, and for group value with the Church of All Saints.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.