This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1279 / 53°7'40"N
Longitude: -4.2493 / 4°14'57"W
OS Eastings: 249596
OS Northings: 361331
OS Grid: SH495613
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.6SB2
Mapcode Global: WH43F.PMQZ
Entry Name: Bryn Eglwys
Listing Date: 21 July 1999
Last Amended: 21 July 1999
Source ID: 22038
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the south-west of Penrhos on the old road between Caeathro and Bontnewydd, which has now largely been superseded by the by-pass to the south-east.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Not shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, the house is likely to have been built c1850, along with several others of similar (or slightly higher) status, as one of a number of properties built close to Caernarfon to serve the needs and aspirations of its emerging middle class.
2-storey, roughly square-plan with set-back service range attached at right-angles to the south-east. Rendered rubblestone; slate roofs with rendered and painted brick stacks. Entrance to north-east; 3-bay front with central valley and twin gables; windows all recessed 12-paned sashes with painted slate cills except that above entrance, which is of 9 panes. Central gabled porch with segmental outer arch flanked by carved heads; small rectangular windows to sides, slate floor and inner 4-panel door (top panels now glazed). Right return has 2 full-height canted bays with hipped roofs and sash windows, 12-paned to centre and 8-paned to splays. Rear is the same as front except that there is no entrance and the central first-floor window is also 12-paned. Service range at right-angles to left return has 12-paned sash to each floor of 2-storey section and also to front of single-storey section.
Largely unaltered mid-C19 interior. Porch leads to central passage-way, to either side of which are rooms with moulded cornices and original fireplaces, that to left room of Penrhyn slate with columns, that in right of marble, both with cast-iron grates. Straight-flight staircase in passage-way behind left ground-floor room has stick balusters and turned newel. 4-panel doors and panelled window shutters throughout.
Included as an almost completely unaltered mid-C19 house of some distinction, important for the evidence it provides of increasing prosperity in the nearby county town at this time.
Other nearby listed buildings