History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bantwen

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Aberbythych, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.83 / 51°49'48"N

Longitude: -4.0544 / 4°3'15"W

OS Eastings: 258533

OS Northings: 216599

OS Grid: SN585165

Mapcode National: GBR DS.VYT6

Mapcode Global: VH4J8.N8ZF

Entry Name: Bantwen

Listing Date: 27 August 1999

Last Amended: 27 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22201

Building Class: Domestic

Location: About 150m west of the road junction in Carmel Village. The cottage stands in a small enclosure behind two later houses.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llanelli

Community: Llanfihangel Aberbythych

Community: Llanfihangel Aberbythych

Locality: Carmel Village

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Carmel

History

A clom and thatch two-unit cottage probably of the C18 or very early C19, with a later unit to the left built in stone. The original part is interesting for its roof construction. The position of the west truss suggests alteration: the clom cottage may originally have been of three units, the left unit later rebuilt.
It appears to be marked on the 1813 draft OS map, as a cottage on the edge of what was then the unenclosed heath or common of Mynydd Bach. In 1836 it was recorded as a cottage with half an acre (0.203 hectares) of garden, occupied by Rees Rees as part of the estate of Earl Cawdor.

Exterior

A three-unit cottage, the centre and right units being of clom construction, the left of stone. Front and gable ends rendered. Probably repaired in stone or brick near the eaves. The clom part is of one storey with a high eaves level suggestive of the original use of the roof space as a croglofft. It is now roofed in corrugated steel sheeting covering thatch. The left bay is of two storeys, roofed in slate with a tile ridge. Three chimneys, all rendered. The clom part has a nearly centrally positioned boarded door, slightly off-set to the left, and two square window openings now fitted with steel frames. The stone part has a six-pane fixed window above and a four-pane sash window below, and to the right a reclaimed semi-glazed door which has been reduced in height.
At the rear the clom part is whitewashed. One inserted window centrally, one blocked window adjacent to the stone part.

Interior

The clom part has a short central lobby between units, with the living room on the right. The roof is of thatch on a base of brushwood, visible internally, carried on three pegged collar-beam trusses.

Reasons for Listing

A small cottage of the late C18 or early C19, built of unsophisticated materials; a rare substantial survival in this region of a dwelling in clom construction probably put up by a cottager informally occupying waste ground.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.