This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0701 / 53°4'12"N
Longitude: -4.21 / 4°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 252026
OS Northings: 354827
OS Grid: SH520548
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.BPS8
Mapcode Global: WH54Z.93G6
Entry Name: Hafod Caeronwy
Listing Date: 30 September 1999
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 22404
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the south side of a track leading from Y Fron through the disused quarry towards Mynydd Mawr, Hafod Caeronwy is one of the last habitation sites to the west of the high moorland of Mynydd M
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1840 Tithe Map, Hafod Caeronwy is likely to have been built as a smallholder's cottage in the early C19, its occupants probably also finding employment in Fron and Old Braich Slate Quarry, which opened in 1830. Single-storey range at right-angles to rear was added in later C19. There was formerly a water wheel in front of the dairy powering a small butter mill. The topography of the site, its relationship to Caeronwy-isaf and Caeronwy-uchaf possibly suggest an earlier history as a satellite steading from the original Caeronwy and thus a relic of an earlier pattern of upland settlement in this area, the hafod element of the place-name perhaps indicating an origin as a summer dwelling. Both the dairy and the cowhouse are now part of the domestic accommodation.
Single-storey cottage of 2-room plan, aligned roughly with cowhouse attached under same roof line to left gable end; lean-to dairy to front at junction between the two parts; short range at right-angles to rear of cottage forms basic T-plan. Limewashed roughly coursed rubblestone; grouted graded slate roof. House part has windows (left C20, right a 4-pane sash) with slate cills flanking slightly offset boarded door; integral end stacks to house part, left more substantial at junction with cowhouse, both with slate drips. Small 4-pane window to back wall; rear range has C20 window with slate cill to wall and substantial integral end stack with slate drips and chimneypot.
Left room of original house part has large stone lintel to fireplace; slate floor and boarded ceiling. Right room has reconstructed croglofft and vestiges of tongue and groove boarding to front wall. Former cowhouse has bolted A-frame truss to centre; slate floor in former dairy.
Included as a largely unaltered early C19 moorland cottage, possibly of earlier origin, important for the evidence it provides of the dual industrial/agricultural operating in the area at this time and possibly also for an earlier pattern of upland settlement.
Other nearby listed buildings