This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.614 / 51°36'50"N
Longitude: -3.1042 / 3°6'14"W
OS Eastings: 323643
OS Northings: 191150
OS Grid: ST236911
Mapcode National: GBR J1.9FX7
Mapcode Global: VH7B4.4PTL
Entry Name: Remains of churchyard cross in St Mary's churchyard
Listing Date: 22 October 1999
Last Amended: 22 October 1999
Source ID: 22522
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near the S churchyard wall close to main thoroughfare.
Community: Risca West (Gorllewin Rhisga)
Built-Up Area: Risca
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Churchyard crosses were erected in the later medieval period to indicate the sanctity of the ground for burial, to play a role in some parts of the liturgy and to serve as a focus for itinerant preachers. Some were truncated in post medieval period and used as sundials, which may have been the case here. The churchyard preceded the present church built 1852 on the site of a medieval church founded probably in C12. As the existing churchyard monuments are contemporary with or later than the church it is likely the churchyard was cleared at the time of the demolition and the cross may not be in its original position; it would have stood on a series of steps.
Socket stone and part of shaft of a churchyard cross; the socket stone has chamfered angles and the shaft is broached at base.
Included for its historic interest and for group value with the church, churchyard monuments and gateway.
Other nearby listed buildings