This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1437 / 53°8'37"N
Longitude: -3.4065 / 3°24'23"W
OS Eastings: 306018
OS Northings: 361657
OS Grid: SJ060616
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.5T66
Mapcode Global: WH777.N71S
Entry Name: Llewesog Hall
Listing Date: 29 November 1999
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 22693
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located within its own grounds and set within a partly-wooded park approximately 1km SE of Prion; accessed via an unmetalled track running SE from a lane leading S off the main Prion-Llanrhaeadr road.
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Gentry house, the seat in the late C16 and C17 of the Price family. In the ownership of a branch of the Mostyn family from c1800, Llewesog subsequently passed to the Williams family, members of whom served as High Sheriffs of Denbighshire for the years 1897 and 1929. The core of the present house is a two-and-a-half storeyed brick block of the late C17, with three gabled wings to the rear. At right-angles to this was added a 3-bay Georgian range probably at the end of the C18; this appears to have been partially remodelled c1810 when the openings to the main garden facade were altered. The L gable of the primary brick house received a shaped gable, probably in the second-half of the C19.
Medium-sized country house of roughly square plan, consisting of a primary, two-and-a-half storey section with a tall 2-storey late Georgian block adjoining to the E. The primary block is of brick construction, the remainder apparently of rubble; all is presently roughcast and whitened. Slate roofs with plain end chimneys and a shaped gable to the L (W) gable end of the primary block. Symmetrical 3-bay garden (E) facade, with shallow-pitched, hipped roof and plain pediment to an advanced central bay; this with broad raised plaster band. This has a 12-pane glazed door to the centre of a tripartite window with narrow 8-pane flanking sections. Above this is an elegant 12-pane recessed sash. The outer bays each have single tripartite windows to their ground and first floors, having 12-pane central sections with 8-pane flanking sections as before; projecting stone sills throughout.
The S elevation consists of the primary 4-bay block to the L, with the taller, 3-bay return of the later E block adjoining flush and stepped-up to the R. The former has 3 small, near-flush, early 12-pane sashes to its ground floor, with a later 16-pane sash to the R. The first floor has 3 further 12-pane sashes, of which the last is larger, and a 16-pane sash to the R, as before. Three small, hipped dormers to the roof, with 2-pane casements. The right-hand section has an entrance to the L with late Georgian pedimented wooden architrave and a deeply-recessed 6-panel door, its upper 2 panels glazed, the lower 2 fielded; rectangular glazed fan with simple intersecting glazing.
The rear of the primary section has 3 shallow-gabled projecting wings, that to the centre the narrowest, that to the R the broadest. The first floor has 5 leaded 2-light casements with cambered heads, one to the central and two each to the flanking gables. The ground floor has a further leaded window, together with 4 modern wooden casements. The taller E block is advanced slightly to the L and has a 12-pane recessed sash to the ground floor and 2 similar windows to the first; the breast of a former chimney projects to the L, its stack removed. The W side has 2 modern single-storey lean-to additions with glazed roofs, one with porch entrance; mostly modern openings.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey though is recorded as having a late C17 staircase with swept rail and heavy turned balusters (RCAHMW).
Listed for its special interest as a medium-sized country house retaining good late Georgian external character and with earlier core.
Other nearby listed buildings