History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Overbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Corris, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.654 / 52°39'14"N

Longitude: -3.842 / 3°50'31"W

OS Eastings: 275498

OS Northings: 307850

OS Grid: SH754078

Mapcode National: GBR 92.5YJ1

Mapcode Global: WH572.YKN6

Entry Name: Railway Overbridge

Listing Date: 6 December 1999

Last Amended: 6 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22741

Building Class: Transport

Location: The overbridge carried the former Corris Railway over the Nant Deri, in the centre of Corris village.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Machynlleth

Community: Corris

Community: Corris

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in


The Corris, Machynlleth and River Dovey Tramroad was founded by Act of Parliament of 12 July1858 following a survey of 1850. It opened in 1859 as a horse tramway serving the new slate quarries of the Corris Valley, and ran from Aberllefenni to the sea port at Quay Ward, Derwenlas, SW of Machynlleth. The gauge was 2ft 3in (0.69m), as the Tal-y-llyn Railway. In 1864 it was taken over by Imperial Tramways of Bristol, and, as the Corris Railway Company, it ran steam locomotives, running to an interchange with the Aberystwyth and West Coast Railway in Machynlleth. Passengers were carried from Corris 1883, later from Aberllefenni. It was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1930, when the passenger service was suspended in favour of coaches, and was included in nationalisation in 1948. The overbridge is part of the original infrastructure of the steam railway built c1864.


The bridge, which is built of local rubble stone, consists of a stilted semi-circular arch of small span between splayed abutments, a string course and a parapet rebuilt with piers and horizontal metal rails.

Reasons for Listing

Included, despite alterations to the parapet, as an interesting narrow but tall bridge designed to keep the railway at grade, and stitched into the closely built urban fabric of the quarry town. One of the few surviving monuments directly associated with the Corris Railway.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Idris House
    The building stands in a conspicuous position in the main street of the village, adjoining Capel Salem on the right.
  • II Corris Institute
    The Institute is built at the lowest point of the main street, on the W side of the road and near the S bank of the Afon Deri, at the centre of the village,
  • II Pant-y-celyn
    The building forms a short row with No 1, at right angles to Minffordd Street, at the centre of Corris, and facing E across a small garden to a roadway running down to the river.
  • II Tan-y-bryn
    The house is built across the slope, end on to the street, facing NW towards Nos 1 and 2 Pant-y-celyn.
  • II Pant-y-celyn
    Nos 1 and 2 Pant-y-celyn are two cottages in a row off Minffordd Street, behind the properties fronting Bridge Street in the centre of the village.
  • II Capel Salem including front wall and railings
    The chapel, which is the last surviving working chapel in the town, stands well back from the main street in the centre of Corris.
  • II The Slater's Arms
    The inn is on the corner of Bridge Street and the road running up from the bridge over the Afon Dulas crossing Bridge Street and continuing to the NW.
  • II Yr Efail
    The house is built gable on to the road rising up from the crossing of the Afon Dulas to the centre of Corris.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.