This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1582 / 53°9'29"N
Longitude: -4.0461 / 4°2'46"W
OS Eastings: 263286
OS Northings: 364295
OS Grid: SH632642
Mapcode National: GBR 5T.51LW
Mapcode Global: WH54G.TWG7
Entry Name: Pont y Ceunant (partly in Llandygai community)
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22974
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the Afon Ogwen near the point where the minor road through Nant Ffrancon meets the A 5 at Tyn-y-maes.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Constructed on the course of the so-called "old road" along the remote Ogwen Valley, an improvement by the Penrhyn Estate in 1790-1 of what Thomas Pennant had described as "the most dreadfull horsepath in Wales". This road was effectively superseded as the main through route along the valley by the building of the turnpike road (the line of the present A5) on its eastern side in 1802. The Afon Ogwen here forms the boundary with the Llandygai community.
Roughly coursed rubblestone with stone-on-edge coping. Twin arches, both round-headed with voussoirs and arch-rings.
Included as a small late C18 bridge of traditional vernacular character, important also for the evidence it provides of improving transport and communications at this period.
Other nearby listed buildings