This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7638 / 51°45'49"N
Longitude: -3.7891 / 3°47'20"W
OS Eastings: 276626
OS Northings: 208748
OS Grid: SN766087
Mapcode National: GBR H3.03M2
Mapcode Global: VH5G2.8XPR
Entry Name: Wern Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 20 December 2002
Source ID: 23087
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the S side of the hill in the centre of Ystalyfera and just S of the Post Office..
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Ystradgynlais
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Independent chapel of 1863-4, similar in style to chapels by the Rev Thomas Thomas, but apparently designed by Thomas Griffiths of Ystalyfera, described as a merchant/ masnachydd.
Chapel, stucco gable front with slate roof. Simple facade with fluted angle pilasters, pedimental gable with moulded string below and moulded verge boards, and openings in moulded stucco surrounds. Gable has small keyed roundel with glazed quatrefoil, over big plaque with curved rebated corners to moulded frame and ''''Wern Capel Annibynol 1864'''' in raised capitals. Long arched side windows and centre triplet under depressed arch, all with moulded surrounds and keystones. Centre window has pilasters to surround and to window. Arched centre light flanked by narrow slightly lower arched side-lights. Door has similar pilasters and moulded arch. Recessed panelled doors. Long arched windows to sides and rear.
Interior with three-sided gallery on 7 fluted iron columns. Gallery front is painted with curved angles, deep cornice with paired brackets, the brackets under panelled pilasters between long horizontal panels. Short square centre panel with clock. Pews in 3 blocks, painted grained with doors. Plain 3-sided panelled set fawr. Pulpit platform is curvaceous with turned balusters, quarter-turn stairs each side wrapping behind curved end of platform balustrade. Square panelled newels. Solid pulpit front with single large shaped panel between pointed panels with quatrefoils below, at level of bottom rail of balustrades. Lower half of pulpit has rebated arched heads to panels. Behind pulpit is large plaster arch with fluted pilasters, console capitals, moulded flat cornice and moulded arch with keystone above. Arched panel between pilasters with marble plaque to Rev E.T. Evans, minister 1920-55.
Plaster ceiling with moulded cornice and very ornate rose, the centre a swirling acanthus in 4 rings of varied patterns, roses, acanthus, flower scroll, and outer acanthus leaf. Lobby has canted sides with 2 half-glazed double-doors and centre window, all with C20 patterned coloured glass. Patterned coloured glass also to the 2 arched windows each side of pulpit, similar style dated 1957. Gallery has large late C19 organ. Raked panelled pews. Basement hall under with 5 iron columns.
Included as an exceptional chapel of 1863-4 retaining the original interior intact. Several chapels of this type were built around the time of the Great Revival; Wern has more elaborate detail than most, and survives remarkably unaltered.
Other nearby listed buildings