This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6104 / 51°36'37"N
Longitude: -4.1729 / 4°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 249638
OS Northings: 192406
OS Grid: SS496924
Mapcode National: GBR GS.HKCF
Mapcode Global: VH3MQ.MSBC
Plus Code: 9C3QJR6G+4R
Entry Name: Llanrhidian Lower Mill
Listing Date: 20 April 2000
Last Amended: 20 April 2000
Source ID: 23224
Building Class: Industrial
Location: At west side of Mill Lane in Llanrhidian village; pond adjacent to south, miller's house nearby to south west.
Community: Llanrhidian Lower (Llanrhidian Isaf)
Community: Llanrhidian Lower
Locality: Llanrhidian village
Built-Up Area: Llanrhidian
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Lower Mill was built in 1803 for W M Evans, gentleman. The stone on the south face of the building which records this also gives the names of the masons as John Beynon and Evan Jenkin and the carpenters as William Edward and George Evans. In 1847 the owners were recorded as the executors of David Tenant. In 1844 and 1847 the miller was William David, whose widow was carrying on the work in the early 1860s. The name Willis is also recorded here in 1850, and John Willis, miller, of Llanrhidian is recorded in the 1868 directory. The mill has since then been in the ownership of the Willis family. The present owner, Mr Willis (1999) was the last miller, having worked Lower Mill until c1950.
Three storey mill building in local uncoursed limestone rubble masonry, with hipped slate roof and tile ridge and hips but no guttering. The north east elevation to the road has three boarded doors one above the other; small window to right at ground storey. The south west elevation shows one blocked window aperture to the top storey. The south east elevation facing the pool has a chimney offset a little to the right, with weathered coping. At the centre of this chimney, below eaves level, is a shallow recess containing the carved stone which gives the names of the owner and craftsmen. This recess is of Gothic shape with its sides forming a pointed arch. At ground, first and second floor levels there are three-pane windows at each side of the chimney, except that the ground storey window at right is blocked. Lower brick and stone sheds are attached to the mill on the north west side.
The interior was inaccessible at time of inspection.
Well preserved village mill building with the unusual feature of a chimney, in its historic setting with millpool and nearby miller's house.
Other nearby listed buildings