This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2065 / 53°12'23"N
Longitude: -3.4618 / 3°27'42"W
OS Eastings: 302460
OS Northings: 368712
OS Grid: SJ024687
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.1ZJR
Mapcode Global: WH65P.SNPP
Entry Name: Agricultural Complex at Garn
Listing Date: 29 June 2000
Last Amended: 29 June 2000
Source ID: 23513
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located to the rear (NW) of the house, partly enclosing a grassed service court.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Three conjoined agricultural ranges. Of the 2 principal ranges, that facing SW may in essence be C17, though it has a mid C18 roof structure; that facing NW is mid C18 and has a dated weathervane of 1746; its trusses, however are reused, probably from an early C17 timber-framed building that these buildings replaced. The smaller third range is an early C19 carthouse block, converted at the end of the C19 or early C20 to storage sheds.
Range of 2 long barns at right-angles to one another, with a former carthouse block adjoining at the N corner, thereby forming an overall Z-plan. Of limestone rubble construction with slated roofs, except the primary SW range which has a modern corrugated metal roof. This section has a kneelered rubble gable parapet to the SE gable. Irregular openings, with a boarded entrance to the L and a vertically-slatted window to its R. Beyond this are 3 further windows, the first 2 with modern glazing and the last slatted as before. The upper floor has 5 windows, all glazed, of which the third and fifth from the L have segmental arches. At the corner with the adjoining range is a long flight of stone steps ascending along the latter's length, which gives access to the upper loft via a boarded entrance. This breaks the eaves and has a gabled dormer with plain bargeboards.
The adjoining range has a large central barn entrance with tall 4-pane late C19 sash to the L; vent slit with further window beyond, the latter with 6-pane fixed modern glazing. To the R of the large entrance is a 2-part, 8-pane C19 window with a 12-pane sash above (lower section boarded). Tall boarded loading door beyond with a 6-pane window to the R of this. The end bay is a later addition and is recessed slightly from the main range, although it is continuously-roofed with it. This has a boarded door with a 3-part window to the R and a C19 12-pane sash above. Boarded loft door to the gable end, accessed via a wrap-around stone stair with metal rail; projecting chimney breast to the gable end. On the roof is a decorative wrought iron weather vane, the main section of which is date 1746; the rear section is a restoration dated 1982. Two large lean-to cart bays adjoin the rear of this range, together with a large C20 lean-to.
The carthouse block adjoins at the N corner and has a flight of stone steps leading up to a boarded loft door on its SE gable end. The NE side has 2 reduced cart bays with exposed timber lintels and boarded doors (brick and rubble infill). To the R is a window with vertical slatting and 3-pane upper section; beyond is a similar boarded door and window.
The primary (SW) barn has a 4-bay interior with low pegged collar trusses, probably of the 1740s. The second range has a 5-bay roof with reused, pegged tie-beam trusses with broad curved braces and a queen post truss at the SW end.
Listed as a good sequence of C18 and C19 agricultural buildings with earlier, C17 origins.
Group value with other listed items at Garn.
Other nearby listed buildings