This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8282 / 51°49'41"N
Longitude: -3.1024 / 3°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 324126
OS Northings: 214972
OS Grid: SO241149
Mapcode National: GBR F2.W127
Mapcode Global: VH795.59RV
Entry Name: Bridge 105 over the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal including Iron Sign
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23833
Building Class: Transport
Location: Isolated location, approximately 0.5 km north-west of Gilwern.
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Built-Up Area: Gilwern
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built 1797 by Thomas Dadford, engineer. In 1792, the Act for the Monmouthshire Canal was passed: in the same year, the promoters of the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal were proposing a canal to run separately, from Brecon to Newbridge. By October 1792 it was resolved to link directly to the proposed Monmouthshire Canal rather than the river Usk, and Thomas Dadford, engineer, was asked to survey a suitable route from Pontypool to Brecon. Work began early in 1797 with the aqueduct and embankment at Gilwern, and by November 1797, the eight-and-a-half mile (13.7 kilometre) section from Gilwern to Llangynidr was open. A further twelve mile section to Talybont was open by February 1799, and on Christmas Eve 1800, the final link to Brecon was opened. After 1798, Thomas Dadford was replaced with Thomas Cartwright, who engineered the extension of the canal form Gilwern to Llanfoist 1802-05. By February 1812 the canal had connected to the Monmouthshire Canal at Ponymoile, and the wharves at Brecon and Gilwern had been extended. The engineer for this section was William Crosley. After the Newport and Pontypool Railway was promoted, the canals were in decline. The Brecknock and Abergavenny Company made several unsuccessful overtures to various railway companies, but by 1865 had sold out to the Monmouthshire Canal Company. In 1880, the Monmouthshire Canal Company merged with the Great Western Railway. The last toll on the canal was taken in February 1933.
Rubble sandstone construction. Semi-elliptical arch with stone voussoirs; projecting keystone. Humped parapet splayed out to square piers; slab copings. Tall iron lozenge-shaped sign stands on E side of bridge erected by the Great Western Railway Co. to restrict heavy loads. Sign reads ‘Motor Car Act 1886 and 1903. Notice this bridge is insufficient to carry a heavy motor car the registered axle weight of any axle which exceeds (blank) tons or the registered axle weight of the several axles of which exceed in the aggregate (blank) tons or a heavy motor car drawing a trailer if the registered axle weight of the several axles of the heavy motor car and the axle weights of the several axles of the trailer exceed in the aggregate (blank). Great Western Railway Ltd. Paddington Station. London’.
Listed as a significant element of the engineering works associated with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings