This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5149 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -3.3604 / 3°21'37"W
OS Eastings: 305696
OS Northings: 180427
OS Grid: ST056804
Mapcode National: GBR HP.HX03
Mapcode Global: VH6F3.P6V1
Entry Name: Kitchen garden walls N of Miskin Manor
Listing Date: 15 August 2000
Last Amended: 15 August 2000
Source ID: 23925
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the N side of the house.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Locality: Miskin Manor
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in the third quarter of the C19 and shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1875. The present propagating house was added before 1900. The S wall was altered to incorporate a gate screen in the early C20.
Miskin Manor is a country house of 1864, but with earlier origins, built for David Williams. The landscaping of the park began in 1857 and the principal features were in place by the 1870s. The walled garden belongs to this phase. The gardens were further developed by David's son Judge Gwilym Williams (1839-1906) and Sir Rhys Rhys Williams (1865-1955).
A rectangular walled garden approximately 90m E-W by 30m, of 3.5m high walls of buttressed brick, except the N wall which has an outer face of rubble stone. In the S wall is a central gate screen comprising red-brick piers and stone copings (originally pyramidal but all now damaged) to railings on a dwarf wall and a central iron gate with overthrow. To the W of the screen the wall is partly fallen. To the R is an arched doorway. Inside is a central brick-lined channel oriented N-S. Against the N wall, offset to the W side, is a former lean-to greenhouse retaining curved iron trusses, added early C20. Immediately S is a late C19 brick former propagating house.
The N wall has an arched doorway offset to the W side. To the centre of the exterior is a former lean-to boiler house of rubble stone and brick jambs. It has a doorway on the W side and window to the E side. Set back from the E end is a lean-to bothy of rubble stone and brick jambs, with door and window on the N side and window to the W wall. Inside is a late C19 brick fireplace. At the NW angle is the stub wall of a former greenhouse.
Listed for group value with Miskin Manor and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings