This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6047 / 51°36'17"N
Longitude: -2.7094 / 2°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 350968
OS Northings: 189781
OS Grid: ST509897
Mapcode National: GBR JK.B564
Mapcode Global: VH87T.0X0P
Entry Name: Ifton Hill House
Listing Date: 20 September 2000
Last Amended: 20 September 2000
Source ID: 24007
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the east end of Portskewett Community about 500m south of Parkwall roundabout on the A48.
Community: Portskewett (Porth Sgiwed)
Locality: Ifton Hill
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A basically C17 three unit house which may have earlier origins. It is said to have been first built in 1452 by Lewis of St Pierre. It remained a part of the St Pierre estate until 1927 when it was purchased by Monmouthshire County Council and split up for small holdings. It has a wing, The Old Cottage (qv) which probably pre-dates it and another Dairy Cottage (qv) which is said to have been added in 1820. These are both listed separately. There is also an apparently mid C19 wing, though this could date with Dairy Cottage.
The house is constructed of roughly coursed sandstone with a Bridgewater tile roof. It is a rectangular three unit single depth cross-passage house with later additions. The road elevation has the left hand room hidden behind a C19 wing projecting forward. This is of two storeys with a door with a rectangular light over and a 3-light mullion-and-transom timber window above and another 3-light one below, and a cross-framed casement above on the return. The openings facing forward are framed in red brick. Hipped roof with a truncated stack to the left. Next comes the entrance to the cross-passage, a panelled door with a flat hood. To the right of the door is a blind wall, perhaps with blocked window, then a small single light window, then a 3-light timber one, with three cross-framed casements above. The way these windows are arranged suggests that there have been alterations, and there is another small blocked window between the two right hand upper ones. Two ridge stacks, one backing onto the cross-passage for the hall and one on the right hand gable for the kitchen. The left gable end is a part of The Old Cottage (qv), the right one is blind apart from a tiny garret window. The rear elevation is partly hidden by Dairy Cottage (qv) on the left and The Old Cottage on the right. The ground floor has a 3-light timber casement to the left, then a modern part glazed door, then a modern casement in the blocked cross-passage doorway then another 3-light casement. Above are three cross-framed casements and a small modern window.
The interior has been much changed. The cross-passage is blocked. The old kitchen has a reconstructed fireplace. The hall has a fireplace with massive jambs and a lintel which is broken in two. The roof was not seen but is evidently the same principal rafter type as can be seen in The Old Cottage (qv) which includes a part of the main range roof.
Included as a C17 farmhouse which was enlarged in the C19 and retains historic features characteristic of the different periods.
Other nearby listed buildings