This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3958 / 52°23'44"N
Longitude: -4.0302 / 4°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 261955
OS Northings: 279471
OS Grid: SN619794
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.Q0BV
Mapcode Global: VH4FL.317P
Entry Name: Capel Moriah including chapel house to left
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 24015
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at Moriah on the W side of the A4120.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Baptist chapel of 1829 remodelled in 1888. Chapel house attached.
Chapel, roughcast with unpainted stucco dressings and slate roof with moulded eaves cornice. Two arched windows with radiating bars to heads, door to left with 6 vertical panels and lean-to timber added porch with fishscale slates and square timber piers with capitals. Stucco quoin pilasters at angles, moulded hoods to windows with keystones and moulded string-course at impost level, heavy moulded sill course and moulded plinth. Date plaque 'Moriah Adeiladwyd 1829 adgyweiriwyd 1888 Addoldy y Bedyddwyr'. Roughcast rear with 2 arched windows.
Chapel house to left, C20 dry-dash with stucco plain surrounds to openings. Two storeys, two 9-pane sashes to first floor, 2 similar to ground floor left and centre, door to right. Rubble stone rear.
Plain later C19 interior with pitch pine pews in single block with shaped bench ends. Broad low platform with arcaded rails between heavy turned newels with acorn finials, the newels flanking tops of steps up each end of front. Two arcaded bays each side of pulpit, with turned balusters and incised spandrel panels. Pulpit has 2 arched panels under 3 square panels and moulded cornice to bookrest. Plaster arch behind with part-fluted pilasters and rosettes in arch, and moulded keystone flanked by scrolls. Ceiling is plaster with moulded ribs dividing it into 8 panels with 2 centre roses. Panelled corner lobby with half-glazed door.
Included as a well-preserved smaller chapel of 1829, remodelled in 1888. The chapel and attached chapel house form an attractive group.
Other nearby listed buildings