This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8723 / 51°52'20"N
Longitude: -2.9306 / 2°55'50"W
OS Eastings: 336024
OS Northings: 219717
OS Grid: SO360197
Mapcode National: GBR F9.S7P0
Mapcode Global: VH792.561H
Entry Name: Cwm Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24186
Location: Approximately 3 km N of Llanvetherine, on W side of the minor road which runs NW from Old Court.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mid C18 three unit, L-plan house. Dated 1745, but back wing may be earlier. Cwm farmhouse belonged in the C18 to the Watkins family and was almost certainly built by William Watkins whose initials appear on the date-stone of the Cider House and also the dated staircase in Cwm Farmhouse.
Mid-C18 farmhouse. Colour-washed rubble stone, rendered gables; slate roof with brick end stacks. Two storey, symmetrical front. First floor has three C19 12-pane horned sash windows with shallow stone sills. Ground floor entrance doorway is central with gabled open porch and C18 6-panel door (top four panels glazed). Flanking entrance are similar 12-pane sashes on each side. Rear service wing has remains of former 4-light diamond mullion in upper gable, and C20 window to former dairy on ground floor. Back roof has C20 composition slate tiles and four C20 roof lights.
Well-preserved interior with exceptionally unusual dated staircase. Entry into stone-flagged lobby, with staircase on left side. The riser of the third step is inscribed with initials W W and a heart motif, and the riser of the second step bears the date 1745. Quarter-turn stair with landings, has moulded handrail and square newel posts with roll moulding at angles. Living room (to left of entry) has 6-panel door and C19 register grate. To right on entry is a boarded partition with C20 boarded door to kitchen. Kitchen has chamfered ceiling beams with scroll stops and chamfered wooden fireplace lintel (possibly re-used). Ghost marks on face of lintel and on upper wall mark position of former spit rack (one bracket survives ex situ). Back wall of hearth contains bread oven with cambered brick arch. Set in side walls on each side are fireplace cupboards to left cupboard has fielded panel with H-hinges, to right upper cupboard is panelled and lower cupboard boarded with strap hinges. Rear service wing formerly housed dairy, and opens off kitchen. Upstairs bedrooms have plank and batten doors with strap hinges; C18 stone fireplace surround has shouldered architrave. Habitable attic of 5 bays with collar trusses.
Well-preserved farmhouse dated 1745 with earlier origins and high quality detail, including unusual dated staircase.
Other nearby listed buildings