This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.144 / 52°8'38"N
Longitude: -3.5679 / 3°34'4"W
OS Eastings: 292802
OS Northings: 250677
OS Grid: SN928506
Mapcode National: GBR YF.75M2
Mapcode Global: VH5DG.3CMS
Entry Name: Cow house and barn at Llwyn-cus
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24355
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the SW side of and set below the house.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The present farmstead is early C19, with cow house and barn both shown on the 1844 Tithe map. By the time of the 1889 Ordnance Survey an outshut had been added to the lower gable end of the barn and a pigsty was added facing the yard.
A multi-purpose L-shaped farm range comprising a cow house and stable built across the slope on the SW side and a barn and cart shed at right angles to it, enclosing a small yard on the E side. Gable ends and the outer side wall of the cow house are of rubble stone, while the remainder is principally simple box framing with elm weatherboarding on a rubble stone sill. Slate roof throughout. Facing the yard the cow house has 5 boarded doors and a loft door, at the L end of which is the stable door with loft opening above it. The rear has 3 manure-pitching holes with boarded shutters but with original lintels removed. An added outshut is further R. The barn has, facing the yard, full-height boarded doors in the angle with the stable, to the L of which is a blockwork outshut with slate roof, built on the foundation of a C19 pigsty.
The L gable end of the barn has a weatherboarded gable over rubble stone walls, and a boarded loft door. On the opposite side wall the barn has replaced full-height double doors, L of which an original cart shed opening has been infilled with blockwork, as has the outshut at the lower end.
Both cow house and barn have roofs of tie beams with raking struts. The threshing bay in the barn retains stone flags with oak boards to the centre. The stable retains 3 wooden stalls.
Listed as a well-preserved multi-purpose farm building, a type rare in the district, and for group value with the farmhouse, making a complete early C19 farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings