History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Abarim

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfachraeth, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3148 / 53°18'53"N

Longitude: -4.5327 / 4°31'57"W

OS Eastings: 231376

OS Northings: 382753

OS Grid: SH313827

Mapcode National: GBR HM5Y.BHG

Mapcode Global: WH42B.BYT6

Entry Name: Capel Abarim

Listing Date: 19 December 2000

Last Amended: 19 December 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24464

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Set back from the W side of the A5025 towards the N end of the village of Llanfachraeth.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Holyhead

Community: Llanfachraeth

Community: Llanfachraeth

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanfachraeth

History

Early C20 Methodist chapel, dated 1908 on name plaque above entrance. Built to replace the earlier chapel on the site which, according to a slate plaque above the side entrance was erected in 1860. The form of the present chapel, and some of the detail, are reminiscent of mid C19 work, suggesting that the early C20 building may have been based on its C19 predecessor.

Exterior

Gable entry chapel with gabled porch. Pebbledash render over rubble, with smooth rendered dressings and hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Entrance elevation faces E, and is stressed by raised, stepped and loosely pedimeted centrepiece with urn finials. Central gabled porch with moulded parapet, rusticated surround to round arched entrance and rusticated quoins at angles; flanking round-arched sash windows with moulded architraves; small paned with marginal glazing. Moulded frame over the porch records the name of the chapel and its date. Return elevations also have round-arched sashes, and there is a doorway towards the rear of the S elevation, in slightly advanced porch in the E bay; slate plaque over the doorway reads: Abarim Er 1860 (the date of the earlier chapel on the site).

Interior

The main entrance leads into a central vestibule with side entrances; the set fawr at the opposite end. There are 3 ranks of raking pews, the central with staggered divider. The set fawr is rectangular, the front advanced with flanking entrances; raised by 2 steps. The lower part of the set fawr is panelled, the top a moulded rail over shaped balusters, shaped newel posts at angles. The pulpit is rectangular with an advanced central bay; side entrances, raised by 3 steps; moulded rail on shaped balusters and newel posts with banded finials. The pulpit is panelled, the advanced bay with round-head arched panel with moulded surround and keystone. The walls of the chapel are plastered, the lower half with tongue and grooved panelling; raised behind the pulpit as wooden surrounds to shaped plaster panels, the central with shallow pointed arch head under an open pediment. The side entrance to the chapel also with open pediment.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good early C20 chapel which forms a coherent group with the adjacent chapel house and outbuildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Chapel house and outbuilding, Capel Abarim
    Set back from the W side of the A5025 towards the N end of the village of Llanfachraeth; adjacent to Abarim Chapel.
  • II Wall, railings and gates, Capel Abarim
    Located along the front (E) boundary of the grounds of Capel Abarim. Along the W side of the A5025 towards the N end of the village of Llanfachraeth.
  • II Cross Keys
    Located at the W side of the A5025 towards the N end of the village of Llanfachraeth. At the N end of a terrace of houses directly to the S of Capel Abarim.
  • II Bryn Glas
    Located along the E side of the A5025 in the centre of the village of Llanfachraeth.
  • II Bethesda Congregational Chapel and attached house
    Set back from the S side of Min Ffordd, leading W off the A5025 in the centre of the village of Llanfachraeth.
  • II Capel Pont yr Arw with attached school room
    Set back from the W side of the A5025 at the S end of the village of Llanfachraeth.
  • II Dronwy
    Dronwy is reached via a track leading N from Pont Dronwy, c 800m N of the church of St Machraeth.
  • II Stable-cartshed with servant's loft, Dronwy
    Dronwy is reached via a track leading N from Pont Dronwy, c 800m N of the church of St Machraeth. The stable block is located immediately E of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.