This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1076 / 52°6'27"N
Longitude: -3.6382 / 3°38'17"W
OS Eastings: 287906
OS Northings: 246737
OS Grid: SN879467
Mapcode National: GBR YC.967L
Mapcode Global: VH5DL.W9J5
Entry Name: Neuadd Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 19 January 2001
Last Amended: 19 January 2001
Source ID: 24527
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently located in the centre of Llanwrtyd Wells and fronting a small square opposite Pont Rhyd y Ferrau.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Llanwrtyd Wells (Llanwrtyd)
Community: Llanwrtyd Wells
Built-Up Area: Llanwrtyd Wells
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
C19 hotel constructed in 2 parts which are at a slight angle to each other. The R block appears to be earlier and a building is shown in this location on the Llanwrtyd tithe map of 1846. Both parts of the hotel are clearly shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey of 1888.
Two adjoining 3-storey buildings, rendered and whitened under slate roofs with rendered end stacks and central ridge stack. Rusticated quoins strips and plinth. The current entrance is to the centre of the L block and consists of a wide panelled door with late C20 overlight. This is flanked by tripartite hornless sash windows with flat heads and stone sills. Decorative iron openwork balcony at 1st floor level, supported on 2 narrow round columns flanking the doorway. The 1st and 2nd floors are 4-window, with 8-over-8-pane horned sashes within moulded architraves, each with a keystone bearing an incised motif. Small skylight to roof pitch. The block to the R is 5-window to the 1st and 2nd floors; the windows are narrower and more closely spaced than those to the L. They are 6-over-6-pane sashes, some hornless, within moulded architraves with vermiculated keystones. Sill band at 1st floor level. There was a central doorway to the ground floor, now replaced by a late C20 window with plain glazing, between pilasters. This is under a flat moulded porch canopy supported on 2 narrow square piers. The porch is flanked by canted bay windows with turned balusters at the angles, containing sash windows as above.
The E gable end is rendered with 2 late C20 doors offset to the R. Three sash windows to 1st and 2nd floors, and small window in gable offset to the R. The W gable end is partly slate hung and has a late C20 boarded door with overlight to the ground floor, with a tripartite horned sash to its R. The 1st and 2nd floors each have 3 horned sashes as front, asymmetrically arranged, and a 6-over-6-pane sash to the gable, offset to the L. The rear is of whitened rubble stone with a low gabled rear wing of stone and blue brick, and a further blue brick addition to its R. Closely spaced 6-over-6-pane sash windows to the upper floors under segmental brick heads.
The interior was modernised in the late C20. From the front entrance, reception is straight ahead, with a flight of stairs to the L under an archway. To the R is a panelled door to the bar which is modernised.
Listed as a C19 hotel with a fine unaltered facade, a prominent landmark in the town centre.
Other nearby listed buildings