This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1161 / 52°6'57"N
Longitude: -3.6652 / 3°39'54"W
OS Eastings: 286073
OS Northings: 247724
OS Grid: SN860477
Mapcode National: GBR Y9.8ZCZ
Mapcode Global: VH5DL.F26N
Entry Name: Dinas
Listing Date: 19 January 2001
Last Amended: 19 January 2001
Source ID: 24530
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the S side of a narrow lane approx 0.3km W of the church of St David. In a raised position overlooking the valley to the S and backing on to the road.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Llanwrtyd Wells (Llanwrtyd)
Community: Llanwrtyd Wells
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Sub-medieval gentry house, with the addition in the C18 of a large service unit or 'back kitchen'. At this time, the original house had a centralised plan with stair-hall flanked by a parlour to the R and hall to the L. A doorway next to the hall fireplace led to the service unit. The house was the seat of the Lloyd family, including John Lloyd (1748-1818), who was captain of an East India Company ship, and whose memorial is in Llanwrtyd Church.
Long 2-storey 5-window range facing S. Constructed of whitened rubble stone under a slate roof with large rendered ridge stack at junction of main range and service unit, and further stack to R end. The earlier part of the house to the R is symmetrical and 3-window. Central late C20 door with overlight flanked by sash windows, all under segmental brick heads. The upper storey windows are aligned with those below and have flat heads. Most of the sashes are 6-over-6-pane, mainly hornless. A butt joint divides the main range from the service unit. The latter has a planked door offset to the R under a segmental brick head, to the R of which is a 4-over-4-pane sash window. To the L is a 4-pane sash under a flat-arched head of stone voussoirs. To the upper storey are 2 sash windows as R, not aligned with those below.
To the W gable end is a rubble stone lean-to with brick stack to SW angle. It has a planked door to the front (S) under a segmental brick head, and double planked doors to the W end, to the R of which is a plain light. The W gable above is rendered. Roughcast E gable end with window offset to L to lower storey. To the rear, the upper storey has 2 windows to the far L, a tripartite sash and a 6-over-6-pane hornless sash. Below the latter is a blocked opening at ground level. Towards the centre of the original range is a sash at mid-level, probably a stairlight, to the R of which is a tripartite sash. Beyond this, the wall is slightly set back, followed by a tripartite sash and then a butt joint. The added service range has a small multi-pane window to the far R at ground floor level, boarded below and with a segmental brick head. Two skylights to roof pitch.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a sub-medieval gentry house retaining its character, the C18 addition showing the development of this house type.
Other nearby listed buildings