This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3773 / 53°22'38"N
Longitude: -4.2886 / 4°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 247858
OS Northings: 389161
OS Grid: SH478891
Mapcode National: GBR HMSS.29B
Mapcode Global: WH428.3C2Q
Entry Name: Walls and railings at entrance by Grand Lodge
Listing Date: 24 January 2001
Last Amended: 24 January 2001
Source ID: 24557
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set along the E side of a country road leading SE from Nebo towards Traeth Dulas; adjacent to Grand lodge, located c200m SE of the Church of St Gwenllwyfo and sited at the SW entrance to the Llys Dula
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid C19 entrance walls, railings and gates, probably built as part of the general reconstruction and restoration of the Llys Dulas estate between 1854 and 1856, when extensive improvements were made to the properties on the estate and many of the lodges were built. The mansion itself was redesigned and altered to the designs of Woodward for Gertrude, Dowager Lady Dinorben, second wife and widow to William Lewis, 1st Baron Dinorben; making it probably the most important Victorian mansion on the island. Grand Lodge, as the name implies, is the principal lodge which served the mansion and may have been designed by the same architect. The mansion itself became derelict and was demolished c1975.
Quadrant curved stretches of railed walling flanking ornate gates to SW entrance of Llys Dulas estate. The walling is terminated by squared, dressed stone pillars with roll chamfered angles, moulded capping and shaped finials; the central pair as gatepiers. Walls are of dressed stone with raking coping and surmounted by closely spaced railings surmounted by fleur-de-lys finials The wrought iron gates are highly ornate and embellished with a complex design of intricate scrollwork.
Included as a well-detailed entrance way of railed walling, gates and gatepiers which form a group with the adjacent Grand Lodge and the mirrored entrance at the opposite side of the road.
Other nearby listed buildings