This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6497 / 51°38'58"N
Longitude: -2.7622 / 2°45'43"W
OS Eastings: 347365
OS Northings: 194819
OS Grid: ST473948
Mapcode National: GBR JH.79WX
Mapcode Global: VH87L.2SMQ
Entry Name: Llwyn-celyn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 January 2001
Last Amended: 30 January 2001
Source ID: 24566
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 1500m north west of Shirenewton down a narrow lane going north from the Usk Road.
Community: Shirenewton (Drenewydd Gelli-farch)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A farmhouse built in 1705 (dated) with two wings added probably in the early C19. At this date the rear wing was converted to a separate dwelling. The house has apparently had little alteration since apart from re-windowing on the main elevation in the late C20 after the farm was sold from the Itton estate.
The house is rendered and painted throughout, presumably over rubble stone, and has Welsh slate roofs. A T-shaped block with the foot of the T stretching back behind the rectangular main range. There is an in-line wing added to the left of the main front and the rear wing has a later wing added at right angles. The main entrance elevation (south) has a three bay front with central entrance. This is in a gabled porch with a square headed opening, and it has a C19 door within. Two storeys and attic with the kitchen wing to the left one storey and attic. All the windows to the front are modern steel casements, one also in the kitchen wing. Steeply pitched roof with two gabled Victorian dormers. Large gable stacks at either end which are external to the building. Red sandstone plaque on the gable with the date in relief 1705. The kitchen wing has a plain door to the left and a window to the right; the roof is hipped to the left and there is a red brick ridge stack. The rear elevation has a central projecting wing with a hipped end to the roof. This has a tripartite window under an elliptical head below and a 6 over 6 sash above. There is a later wing to the left with a similar 2-light window below and a 6 over 6 pane sash above, also a very tall red brick stack. A 3-light window in the return of the main wing. The rear of the main house has two windows with a slightly projecting three storey gabled bay to the rght, 6 over 6 pane sash on the ground floor, 4 over 4 pane sashes above. Doorway to the upper floor in the rear of the kitchen wing.
Not available for inspection at resurvey but it is said to have chamfered ceiling beams, a dog-leg stair with oak treads and a principal rafter roof, all as might be expected in this type of house. This agrees with Fox and Raglan who also recorded a two room plan with parlour to the left and hall to the right, and a vaulted cellar under the rear wing. They say that the framed staircase is top-lit and has acorn newels.
Included as a regional farmhouse which is dated 1705 and which despite some superficial changes still retains its character.
Other nearby listed buildings