History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych-gate to the church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Raglan, Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7308 / 51°43'50"N

Longitude: -2.8484 / 2°50'54"W

OS Eastings: 341506

OS Northings: 203905

OS Grid: SO415039

Mapcode National: GBR JD.207G

Mapcode Global: VH79P.LR1J

Entry Name: Lych-gate to the church of St John

Listing Date: 31 January 2001

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24737

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated at the entrance to Llandenny churchyard in Llandenny village.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Usk

Community: Raglan (Rhaglan)

Community: Raglan

Locality: Llandenny

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llandenny

History

Lychgate of uncertain date, possibly late medieval or C16, reconstructed as part of the church restoration by G.E.Halliday of Cardiff in 1900, as a memorial to the 2nd Lord Raglan.

Exterior

Lych-gate, two dressed stone walls with rough coping and finials supporting narrow stone slate roof on Tudor-arched ovolo-moulded bressumers of 1900. Wooden gates within. On W end a re-used unfinished C16 dripstone. Said to incorporate medieval worked stone with masons marks similar to those at Raglan Castle. Pink granite tablet records restoration in memory of the 2nd Lord Raglan.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for group value with the Church of St. John, Llandenny.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cross in St John's churchyard
    The Cross is situated in Llandenny churchyard some 3m SE of the church porch.
  • I Church of St John
    Situated in the centre of the village of Llandenny. The church is in an elevated position within an enclosed churchyard.
  • II Barn at Village Farm
    Situated in Llandenny village opposite entry to churchyard, at upper W side of farmyard at the former Pentre Farm, now Village Farm.
  • II Village Farm
    Situated on S side of road through Llandenny, attached to Church Farm of which this was a former outbuilding.
  • II Church Farm
    Situated on S side of the road in Llandenny village, the last property on the E towards Llandenny Bottoms.
  • II Telephone Call-box
    Situated in village, on S side of road beside gable end of Orchard House.
  • II Barn and cowshed at The Rock Farm
    Situated across S end and E side of farmyard at The Rock.
  • II The Rock Farmhouse
    Situated down drive some 500 m W of Llandenny church, S of minor road to Llandenny Walks. Front court enclosed by whitewashed rubble walls.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.