History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Treforest Textile Printers

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5683 / 51°34'5"N

Longitude: -3.287 / 3°17'13"W

OS Eastings: 310891

OS Northings: 186273

OS Grid: ST108862

Mapcode National: GBR HS.DHWL

Mapcode Global: VH6DR.ZV44

Entry Name: Treforest Textile Printers

Listing Date: 26 February 2001

Last Amended: 26 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24885

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Set back from Main Avenue SE of the junction with Powys Road.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Locality: Treforest Industrial Estate

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Taffs Well

History

The South Wales and Monmouthshire Trading Estate at Treforest was established in 1936, the first such estate in Wales, and by 1939 sixty-six firms employed 2500 people. Its honorary architect from 1936-70 was Sir Percy Thomas. Most of the early factories were built as standard units. The Treforest Textile Printers is shown as a standardised unit on the 1948 Ordnance Survey, but the present front block was added in the early 1950s.

Exterior

A small factory comprising a fashionably modern L-shaped 2-storey entrance and administration wing in front of a wider 10-bay factory of asymmetrical bays. Both the front wing and factory are of brick, the front wing with concrete detailing, its roof concealed by plain parapets, and metal-framed windows incorporating pivoting lights. The main entrance is on the L side of the front and has replaced doors, and is within a single-storey projection wrapped around the angle and with full-height glazing. The upper storey also has a band of windows wrapped around the angle. In the L return wall is a porthole window below a plain stair light, beyond which are banded windows in both storeys. Projecting on the R side of the entrance is a narrow and higher rubble stone tower with window in its R side wall, further R of which is a 1-storey wing with banded windows. The R return wall has a similar window.

On the R side of the front wing the factory range is wider, the first 5 bays having banded windows, then the rear 5 bays, which are a late addition, are further stepped out.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its architectural interest as an accomplished, well-detailed and well-preserved industrial building in the mid-C20 manner of Sir Percy Thomas and partners.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Honeywell Power Tools Testing Division
    Set back from Main Avenue with an access road on the SE side opposite the telephone exchange.
  • II Nantgarw House
    Located along the E bank of the former Glamorganshire Canal. Caerphilly road is cut by the A470 immediately to the E.
  • II Duffryn Ffrwd Manor
    Set back from the road, with modern housing in the former grounds to the E and W.
  • II Alexon House
    In Hawthorn between the A5054 and the river Taff.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.