History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Honeywell Power Tools Testing Division

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5684 / 51°34'6"N

Longitude: -3.2847 / 3°17'4"W

OS Eastings: 311053

OS Northings: 186285

OS Grid: ST110862

Mapcode National: GBR HS.DJGD

Mapcode Global: VH6DS.0VV1

Entry Name: Honeywell Power Tools Testing Division

Listing Date: 26 February 2001

Last Amended: 26 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24884

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Set back from Main Avenue with an access road on the SE side opposite the telephone exchange.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Locality: Treforest Industrial Estate

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Taffs Well


The South Wales and Monmouthshire Trading Estate at Treforest was established in 1936, the first such estate in Wales, and by 1939 sixty-six firms employed 2500 people. Its honorary architect from 1936-70 was Sir Percy Thomas. The present building was built in the early 1950s on the site of an earlier railway.


A small factory comprising a fashionably modern 2-storey L-shaped entrance block with a range behind of 3 gabled bays. The walls are a mixed use of brick and render, with concrete detailing. Metal-framed windows incorporate lying panes. The entrance is within a higher and rounded corner bay which has a continuous window wrapped around in the lower storey, on the L side of which are double panelled doors with raised fields. A curved concrete canopy is above the entrance and lower storey, while the upper storey has full-height glazing with panels of frosted small-pane glazing above and below plate glass windows. Above it the parapet has a projecting concrete coping. A projecting higher brick stair tower is on the L side of the entrance. It has a porthole window in the lower storey and tall narrow stair light above. On the L side is a rendered 2-storey wing, set back from the stair tower, with 2 bands of windows in each storey. On the R side of the corner bay is a projecting painted-brick 2-storey wing with similar bands of windows. The range behind has a corrugated asbestos-cement roof and the rear bay is hipped to the front.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its architectural interest as an accomplished, well-detailed and well-preserved industrial building in the mid-C20 manner of Sir Percy Thomas and partners.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Treforest Textile Printers
    Set back from Main Avenue SE of the junction with Powys Road.
  • II Nantgarw House
    Located along the E bank of the former Glamorganshire Canal. Caerphilly road is cut by the A470 immediately to the E.
  • II Duffryn Ffrwd Manor
    Set back from the road, with modern housing in the former grounds to the E and W.
  • II Bwlch y Maen
    Located at the end of a track which runs up the hillside towards the SW.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.