History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge No. 67

A Grade II Listed Building in Goetre Fawr, Monmouthshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7292 / 51°43'45"N

Longitude: -2.9994 / 2°59'57"W

OS Eastings: 331073

OS Northings: 203862

OS Grid: SO310038

Mapcode National: GBR J5.2B81

Mapcode Global: VH79L.YSQR

Entry Name: Bridge No. 67

Listing Date: 18 July 2001

Last Amended: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25549

Building Class: Transport

Location: Carrying Pentre Lane over the canal.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Pontypool

Community: Goetre Fawr

Community: Goetre Fawr

Locality: Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in


The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford Jnr. as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year, with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed betwen 1809 and 1812, with William Crossley as engineer. Linked to the tramroads the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Company merged with the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company who owned the connecting canal from Pontymoile to Newport. Later still in 1880 the MR&CC was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was abandoned finally in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964, and the canal is once again open between Pontymoile and Brecon with the title Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.


Access bridge over the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. Semi-elliptical arch with voussoirs; squared, faced and coursed local sandstone; parapet with slab coping; curving abutments. Bridge number on south face of arch. Towpath runs beneath bridge arch on east side.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as one of the unaltered surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridges.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pentre House
    About 500m north east of the Church of St. Illtyd in the direction of Penperlleni and approached down a track by Pentre Farm.
  • II Bridge No. 68
    Carrying Croes-y-pant Lane over the canal.
  • II Bridge No. 66
    Carrying the footpath between Brook Farm and Croes-y-pant over the canal.
  • II Bridge No. 65
    Carrying the Old Abergavenny Road over the canal.
  • II Lower House Farmhouse
    About 300m south east of the Church of St. Illtyd.
  • II Barn at Lower House Farm
    About 30m west of Lower House Farmhouse on the north side of the drive.
  • II Bridge No. 63
    Carrying the access road to Mamhilad House farm over the canal.
  • II Bridge No. 69
    Carrying the access track for Great House Farm over the canal.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.