This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8785 / 51°52'42"N
Longitude: -4.5925 / 4°35'33"W
OS Eastings: 221645
OS Northings: 223165
OS Grid: SN216231
Mapcode National: GBR D2.RX2Y
Mapcode Global: VH2NW.B1ZS
Entry Name: Trinity Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 6 August 2001
Last Amended: 6 August 2001
Source ID: 25629
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in large graveyard, across road to S of churchyard.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent chapel of 1848, refitted in 1869 to designs by the Rev. Thomas Thomas of Landore, refronted and refitted again in 1903. The first chapel was built in 1800, founded from Henllan. The 1848 work was done 'under the superintendence of John Richards and Josiah John' according to a plaque (not seen). The interior is largely of 1903 except for the pilastered feature behind the pulpit which is probably of 1869.
Chapel, stuccoed front and slate-hung side and rear walls, with slate roofs. Original chapel of 1848 to rear is hipped square with 2-window, 2-storey sides and 2-window rear.
Front was altered in 1903 by addition of large 2-storey gabled projection that all but obscures original front wall. Projection has channelled rusticated ground floor with entablature under first floor large centre window with two pilasters each side, the outer pilasters cut by slope of roof, the inner ones with capitals. Window is depressed-arched mullion-and-transom 3-light with leaded lights and moulded surround. Similar surround to ground floor doorway, flanked by single lights with transom. Double 5-panel sliding doors. Sides of projection have one window each floor, depressed arched, and similar window each floor on front of original chapel, those on ground floor in slightly projected added lean-tos against the sides of main addition. These windows all have 2-lights under a transom and single top light.
Original chapel has similar glazing to both floors of side walls, rear has 2 small arched windows with 1903 glazing.
Three-sided gallery on iron columns with lotus capitals, the gallery with curved angles, dentil cornice under alternate long and short panels, themselves under pierced panels of scrolled cast-iron. Long panels have vertical boarding, short panels have herring-bone boards under panel with incised fan shape. Pews in 3 blocks., those at sides canted, or inward-facing each side of pulpit. Broad pulpit platform with similar cast-iron inserts to curved sides each side of shallow-curved pulpit projection in 4 panels with angle columns. Curving steps each side with turned balusters and newels with ball finials. Behind is big pilastered 3-bay feature with pilasters framing 2 arched windows and centre niche, all with pilaster jambs and moulded arches. Moulded cornice, ceiling border with quadrant rebates in corners, timber ribs to ceiling dividing into 4 sections with centre vent. Lobby has tiled floor, doors to gallery stairs and screen with coloured glass in 7 panes and top lights.
Included as part of the village centre of Llanboidy, a village with an unusually complete C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings