This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8793 / 51°52'45"N
Longitude: -4.5936 / 4°35'37"W
OS Eastings: 221572
OS Northings: 223263
OS Grid: SN215232
Mapcode National: GBR D2.RWR8
Mapcode Global: VH2NW.B1D4
Entry Name: Bradford House
Listing Date: 6 August 2001
Last Amended: 6 August 2001
Source ID: 25631
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite Piccadilly Square on W side of the road.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Detached house, part of an unusual later C19 development for the Maesgwynne estate, comprising a terrace of four houses, a pair of semi-detached houses on the E side, and 2 detached houses. The architect was almost certainly George Morgan of Carmarthen, whom W.R.H. Powell employed elsewhere in the village at the time, and the date was probably around 1880. W. R. H. Powell (1819-89) of Maesgwynne was a prominent improving landlord and sporting figure, MP for E. Carmarthenshire for about 20 years. He rebuilt much of the village of Llanboidy including the Maesgwynne Arms hotel, the church, the Market Hall, the School and many of the houses. Powell was a noted breeder of racehorses and hounds, master of fox-hounds for many years, and very large crowds came to meetings at the racecourse he laid out SW of the village.
Detached Victorian estate house with minimal Gothic detail, squared rubble stone with slate eaves roof and red brick end stacks. Red terracotta crested ridge tiles and finials. Two-storey, three-window range with 3 upper casement pairs slightly braking eaves under three small gables with bargeboards, collars and pendant finials. Windows have timber lintels and red brick sides. Ground floor similar but longer 3-light windows in rendered surrounds with hoodmoulds and centre panelled door with diagonal boarding in panels. Door is under slate pent hood on carved raking supports with Gothic cusping to the triangle above supports. Windowless end walls with overhanging bargeboarded verges. Lean-to on right end with 2 doors and broader opening. Attached to right end rear NW corner is service building with half-hipped gable to front and red brick stack to rear. First floor casement pair in brick surround, ground floor door and casement pair.
Included despite alteration as part of a later C19 country estate housing development, rare in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings