This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0797 / 52°4'47"N
Longitude: -3.366 / 3°21'57"W
OS Eastings: 306484
OS Northings: 243255
OS Grid: SO064432
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.C1PK
Mapcode Global: VH6B6.LZWK
Entry Name: Church of St Dubricius
Listing Date: 3 August 2001
Last Amended: 3 August 2001
Source ID: 25668
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in churchyard on W side of Gwenddwr village.
Town: Builth Wells
Community: Erwood (Errwd)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Anglican parish church of medieval origins, possibly C14, heavily rebuilt in 1886. There was a priory of the Cistercian Abbey Dore, Herefordshire, in Gwenddwr. Mrs Dawson records that there was some old timber in the roof, and a memorial of 1580 in the tower, not seen.
Church, rubble stone with plain tiled roof overhanging at gables. Plain W tower with pyramid slate roof and nave with chancel under single roof. S porch. Tower has battered base and 2 plain square louvred bell-lights under eaves to N and S, loop and C19 shouldered-arched window below on S side. W side is blank. Nave S has C19 porch with plain tile roof and re-used medieval cusped trusses similar to those at Crickadarn, the front and back trusses with tie-beam and raking struts cusped to form a quatrefoil and 2 trefoils, the middle truss with arch-braced collar and one trefoil. Seats each side, pointed chamfered door, possibly medieval much restored with C19 board door. Two C19 S lancets to nave, narrow blocked pointed chamfered S door to chancel and much-restored 2-light Perp. Style flat-headed window . C19 E window, triple lancets, cusped. N side of chancel has 2 small lancets set high, second one with medieval red stone head with incised spandrels. Nave N has three C19 lancets as those on S.
Plastered interior with C19 6-sided rafter roof, boarded behind. Segmental pointed window heads. Tiled floor to chancel and sanctuary. Octagonal red stone font, possibly medieval, on C20 base. Pitch pine C19 pulpit on stone base. Late C19 carved wood lectern, C19 stalls and reading desk. Altar rails on 4 iron standards with leaf scrolls. Stained glass window on N side, St Dubricius, 1993, by Celtic Studios.
Included as a small parish church of medieval origins with simple W tower.