This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2032 / 53°12'11"N
Longitude: -3.147 / 3°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 323480
OS Northings: 367961
OS Grid: SJ234679
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.2B14
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.MRM7
Entry Name: Mynachlog
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 26 November 2007
Source ID: 25691
Building Class: Domestic
Location: c1km W of Northop on a minor lane (The Green); adjacent to the line ot Wat's Dyke.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
The house and farm of Mynachlog were Westminster estate property in the C19. The main farm building range is dated 1850, though the barn appears to be earlier: the character of the house also suggests somewhat earlier origins - perhaps closer to 1820. There is thought to have been an earlier building on the site (possibly occupying the east wing which was formerly a labourer's cottage), but there is no visible structural evidence of this. In a main renovation of 1964 the former labourer's cottage was assimilated into the main dwelling, and much of the fenestration dates from this period, whilst respecting the Georgian character of the house.
Substantial gentry farmhouse. Sandstone rubble with slate roof and brick end wall and axial stacks. A long 2 storeyed range facing the farmyard; the garden front symmetrical with advanced hipped roof wings at either end. The east wing, and corresponding eastern bay of the entrance front were formerly separately roofed at a lower height, marking the former labourer's cottage attached to the main farmhouse. The entrance front is symmetrically arranged with central entrance in flat roofed porch (a 1964 replacement of an earlier gabled porch); to either side of this, 12-pane sash windows with flat ashlar lintels flank small 6-pane lights on each floor: the right hand bay was raised in height and re-windowed in 1964 - at the same time, earlier 6-pane sashes were replaced with the present windows.
The garden front comprises a 2 window range between advanced wings: right hand wing (the former labourer's cottage) has 12-pane sash window on each floor; the earlier pattern of 12 and 16-pane sashes retained in the left hand wing. Similarly, earlier fenestration (12 and 16-pane sashes) is retained in the main range between these wings, though French doors replace an earlier 20-pane sash window. Return of the right hand wing has lean-to extension to ground floor, with timber gabled porch to centre.
Sympathetic to its Georgian origin, nevertheless much of the interior detail dates from C20 renovation.
Listed as a nineteenth century estate farmhouse retaining Georgian character and forming a group with its associated farm-buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings