This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0149 / 52°0'53"N
Longitude: -4.387 / 4°23'13"W
OS Eastings: 236285
OS Northings: 237853
OS Grid: SN362378
Mapcode National: GBR DC.H6GF
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.XM37
Entry Name: Area Wall and Railings at Closygraig Chapel, including Memorial.
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25725
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Terraced wall immediately in front of Closygraig Chapel.
Locality: Drefach Felindre
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built 1887, with railings by T. Jones and Son of Priory Foundry, Carmarthen.
Long terrace wall in rubble stone with decorative cast spearhead railings, all of 1887, by T. Jones and Son, Priory Foundry, Carmarthen. Wall has rounded cement coping. Rail sections divided by taller cast rods with rounded heads above projecting bands. Interlaced design to ironwork. Enclosure wall forms a long line running roughly N-S in front of the chapel facade. S end has R angle turn to E, with flight of stone steps alongside. Small opening to E extremity, beside Chapel House. N end slightly canted before N extremity, then turns sharply E. Paired gates in similar painted cast iron, matching spearheads, flanked by massive squared pillars with lozenge-shaped coping, supporting large overthrow. 4-sided lantern directly above centre, with 4-sided steeply pitched head, terminating in small ball finial, all in painted cast iron. Wall and rail continues, both in regular steps, following sloping ground alongside chapel to E.
Immediately in front of the chapel entrance is a 4-sided marble memorial located within a dwarf rendered, coped wall bearing a cast iron spearheaded railing. Railings bear Celtic cross and arch motifs, with taller posts to angles and centre point of each side. Monument has a large square, projecting base, plain sides, with inscription to W, beneath projecting band bearing blank shield motifs beneath arched heads. Above this band are 4 tapering sides capped by projecting band with urn above. W face inscribed " IN MEMORY OF THE REV. J. HARRIS JONES M.A., Ph. D. LATE CLASSICAL TUTOR AT TREVECCA COLLEGE WHO DIED 21ST JULY 1885 AGED 58 YEARS". The monument was designed and inscribed by J. Phillips of Talgarth.
Included as a good example of locally-crafted ironwork of the mid-C19, pre-dating the present chapel, and as part of a group with the associated chapel and chapel house.
Other nearby listed buildings