This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4974 / 51°29'50"N
Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 318927
OS Northings: 178249
OS Grid: ST189782
Mapcode National: GBR KLF.96
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.0MWH
Plus Code: 9C3RFRWJ+W7
Entry Name: Infants Block at Roath Park Primary School
Listing Date: 12 November 2001
Last Amended: 24 May 2002
Source ID: 25864
Building Class: Education
Location: On the E side of the Primary School.
Locality: Roath Park
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1894 by E.W.M. Corbett, architect of Cardiff, for the Cardiff School Board to serve the developing residential district of north Roath. The contractor was Harry Gibbons of Cardiff and the total cost of building, including a caretaker's house, was nearly £17,000. Designed to accommodate over 1250 pupils, in common with other Board school it was designed with a main block housing girls' and boys' school, with a detached block for infants.
A single-storey school in Queen-Anne style, of 5 main bays, of brick with terracotta detail, renewed and steeply pitched slate roof behind coped gables, and 4 panelled brick ridge stacks. The main elevation, facing N to Penywain Road, has central gabled bay brought forward and outer gabled bays projecting much further forward, and each with a coped gable on moulded kneelers. Between the outer bays is a low brick wall (former iron railings have been removed) with piers and iron gate to the centre. The windows have wooden mullions and transoms with small-pane glazing incorporating casements below pivoting lights, and impost bands to the central and outer bays. All windows have vents beneath the sills.
The central 3-window bay has single-light outer windows under cambered heads and a 3-light central window which has a round-headed tympanum framing a small-pane window under a cornice with scrolled stucco wings. The windows have fluted key blocks below pilasters framing cornices above and below a blind arcade and inscription band. The arcade has 2 groups of 3 round-headed openings with key blocks, the central of which has louvres while the others have blank panels. The inscription band is in red Carlisle stone and reads 'Infants School' in raised letters. The outer pilasters are crowned by shaped pinnacles (missing on L side). The apex has a blank tablet with scrolled sides, cornice and finial.
In the 3-window bays R and L of centre single-light windows under cambered heads flank a wider 2-light central window between pilasters. The window has an elliptical headed glazed tympanum similar to the central-bay window, with fluted key block and is carried up above the eaves under a Dutch gable with segmental pediment and pinnacles crowning the pilasters.
The outer bays have two 3-light windows with semi-circular glazed tympana similar to the central bay. Above the keyblocks are pilasters framing 3 blind camber-headed openings in the gable with sill band and cornice. Apex finials are similar to the central bay.
In the R (W) side wall is a single large replaced window in an original opening R of centre. The architrave has pilasters and is carried above the eaves under a pediment with finials. The plainer rear elevation has gabled outer bays between a projecting and wide gabled rear wing, all with replaced windows under cambered heads. The L-hand end bay has 2 windows, to the R of which is a lean-to with an entrance bay added behind it. The entrance bay has a segmental-headed doorway with key block facing W framed by pilasters and cornice, and with replaced doors. The rear wing has 6 narrow windows and 3 vents in the gable. An added lean-to is on its R side wall against the R-hand end bay, which has a single window in the lower storey and 3 attic windows above.
In the L (E) side wall, is a tall central window below a pediment, similar to the W wall, to the R of which is a single window, while to the L is a camber-headed doorway beneath an overlight, then a former doorway with pilasters and pediment but now converted to a window, and 2 windows further L.
The interior is planned around an unusually wide central corridor, probably intended as a single school room as well as providing access to the class rooms. The corridor has a boarded wainscot and 2 segmental-headed fireplaces.
Listed with the adjacent Primary School for its architectural interest as a striking Board School in the Queen-Anne style favoured in the late C19, with a well-preserved front, and unusual interior plan of wide central corridor instead of an assembly hall.
Other nearby listed buildings