This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6175 / 51°37'2"N
Longitude: -2.9761 / 2°58'34"W
OS Eastings: 332512
OS Northings: 191414
OS Grid: ST325914
Mapcode National: GBR J6.9B2V
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.CLHW
Entry Name: Lodge Farm Evangelical Church
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26110
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Attached to the N and E of Lodge Farmhouse.
Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The barn bears the date 1716 and the whole complex could well be of that date. The farm formed part of the estates of the Morgan family of Llantarnam; Bradney recounts the division of the estate in 1707, and records the tomb of Evan James of The Lodge, (died 1774). The buildings were converted to a Church and Meeting Room in c1990.
To the north of Lodge Farmhouse, and attached to it, is a former stable range, now a meeting room, then at right angles, a former barn, now the Lodge Farm Evangelical Church, then, at right angles again, a lower agricultural range which encloses the yard.
The buildings are all roughly rendered local rubble stone with a Welsh slate roof to the range attached to the house and corrugated asbestos sheeting to the rest.
The attached range, formerly a stable, is single storey with a raised terrace in front of it. There is a small modern window at the left hand end, then an arched entrance to a cross-passage then four semi-circular headed openings, the first three are 3-light lunettes and the fourth is an archway. Plain roof. The rear is plain with two inserted windows.
The former barn has a central porch and modern double gates and doors to the former thereshing floor. The wall on either side has two slit vents now glazed.
The return range is single storey and has modern features.
The interior of the Meeting Room, formerly the stable, is featureless, with an inserted ceiling.
The Church, originally the barn, has bare painted walls and a 5-bay principal rafter roof with collars and ties; the roof is ceiled at collar level.
The interior of the subsidiary range was not seen at resurvey.
Included for group value with Lodge Farm as it is a part of the historic farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings