History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lygan Uchaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Halkyn, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2051 / 53°12'18"N

Longitude: -3.1965 / 3°11'47"W

OS Eastings: 320178

OS Northings: 368227

OS Grid: SJ201682

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.241K

Mapcode Global: WH76Y.WP0R

Entry Name: Lygan Uchaf

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Last Amended: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26206

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 1.3km WSW of Rhosesmor church, reached by farm road E of a minor road between Hendre and Moel-y-crio. At the S end of a yard with L-shaped farm range.

County: Flintshire

Town: Holywell

Community: Halkyn (Helygain)

Community: Halkyn

Locality: Lygan Uchaf

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Halkyn

History

Lygan Uchaf was purchased by the Grosvenor Estate in 1759. The present house was built in 1851 while an L-shaped farm range in the yard is dated 1850 and is in characteristic Grosvenor Estate style. The redevelopment of the farmstead is said to have cost £1661. The Grosvenor family owned an extensive estate and mineral rights in the Halkyn area. Halkyn Castle was built for the second Earl Grosvenor in 1824-7 and was used as an occasional residence. The Earl was later made Duke of Westminster.

Exterior

Georgian style 2-storey 3-bay double-depth house roughly square in plan, of snecked stone and hipped slate roof with 2 brick ridge stacks. Windows are 16-pane hornless sashes with hood moulds and stone sills. The central doorway has a fielded-panel door and replaced overlight. The L side wall has an inserted small-pane window lower L. The 3-bay rear, facing the yard, is similar to the front elevation, except that the central doorway has a boarded door and small-pane overlight. The date 1851 is engraved above the hood mould of the doorway. Set back against the L side of the rear is a single-storey hipped-roof projection, with boarded door under a stone lintel, and replaced window in its L end wall.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved mid C19 farmhouse in characteristic Grosevnor Estate style.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Taylor's Shaft Engine House
    At the former North Hendre Lead Mine, in woodland on the N side of the A541 E of Hendre Villas.
  • II Boiler Stack at Taylor's Shaft
    On the S side of the engine house.
  • II Ore Dressing Shed
    To the SW of the engine house.
  • II Engine House at Hendre
    Situated in the side of a hill on the edge of Hendre Quarry approximately 0.3km NW of Hendre. Reached from a private road to Hendre Quarry running N off the A541 near Hendre.
  • II Brick Kiln and Stack
    At the former Hendre Brickworks, on waste ground on the N side of the A541 NW of Ruby Houses and the junction with a minor road to Rhosesmor.
  • II Lime Kiln
    Situated at the northern edge of the village beside the by road off the A541 which runs through the village.
  • II Lime Kiln
    E of Foel Farm, approximately 300m NW of the parish church, set back on the N side of a minor road between Rhosesmor and Moel-y-crio.
  • II Plas Winter
    An isolated house approximately 0.5km S of Moel-y-crio, reached by minor and private roads on W side of the minor road from Halkyn to Moel-y-crio.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.