This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3588 / 53°21'31"N
Longitude: -4.2933 / 4°17'35"W
OS Eastings: 247480
OS Northings: 387110
OS Grid: SH474871
Mapcode National: GBR HMST.L4K
Mapcode Global: WH428.0TVY
Entry Name: Bodafon Isaf and attached agricultural range
Listing Date: 7 February 2002
Last Amended: 7 February 2002
Source ID: 26225
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an elevated position, set back from the S side of the A5025 between Brynrefail and City Dulas.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: City Dulas
Traditional County: Anglesey
Late C18 or early C19 farmhouse. The Tithe Map for the parish of Penrhos Lligwy, 1844, shows few buildings and the area is divided into 10 parcels of land, the 3 largest shared between 2 estates. 'Bodafon' is 100 acres (40.5 hectares), with Plas Bodafon marked as the estate centre, owned by William Mason Esq. Bodafon Isaf is one of several properties bearing the 'Bodafon' name and was probably one of the outlying farms of the estate. The Census Returns for the parish, 1841, records the farmer as Griffith Edwards, who lived there with his wife and 3 children; 5 labourers lived in the stable loft. In 1851 the farmer is recorded as being Richard Edwards, farming a holding of 249 acres (100.8 hectares).
The agricultural range abuts the SW corner of the service wing of the house, but does not appear to be one build and there is no internal access between the two. The range may have housed cattle but is more likely to have been a lofted stable range with granary and servant's quarters.
A Georgian 2-storey farmhouse, domestic wing to rear with modern lean-to addition built in the SE angle. Built of rubble masonry, smooth rendered. Slate roof with rendered, rectangular gable stacks with capping. The principal elevation faces the road to the N, a symmetrical 3-window range with central doorway under a shallow rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. The jambs are engaged pilasters with key pattern design and the doorway is sheltered by a simple porch of a single slate slab supported on chamfered timber piers (one now missing). Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes with slate sills; the L (E) return has a similarly detailed ground floor window and a small 4-pane sash window at 1st floor level. The R return has modern windows.
The service wing is of cruder appearance and may pre-date the main block. Now with a single doorway to the L (N), a small 4-pane sash window over, and 2 modern casement windows to the R. The gable stack is built of rubble masonry, limewashed, with dripstones; to the rear a brick stack has been built abutting the original.
The agricultural range is a lofted linear range, probably a stable range, set at right angles to the SW corner of the service wing of the house. Built of rubble masonry, the entrance elevation limewashed; grouted roof of small slates with tiled ridge. The principal elevation faces N, the ground floor has 3 small window openings with doorways between; the opening to the R (W) has been widened and chamfered dressed stones reset to form a crude arch. The other ground floor windows have timber frames and internal shutters, a similarly detailed window is over the right hand doorway. At the far L of the range, at 1st floor level, is a small paned hornless sash window, a larger 4-pane horned sash window is set under the eaves to its right. To the rear of the range are 3 ground floor ventilation holes and there is a large modern light set into the pitching hole at the R (W) gable.
The main block has a central tiled hallway with the principal rooms leading off; the staircase with moulded rail on stick balusters. The interior has been modernised but retains some beaded boarded doors, some panelled window shutters and soffits and one of the sitting rooms has a beaded boarded ceiling with moulded dividers. The service wing has some exposed chamfered trusses.
The interior of the attached agricultural range was not inspected.
Listed as a modest estate farm, with good Georgian character in the farmhouse and a well preserved attached agricultural range of vernacular character. Part of a good farmstead group.
Other nearby listed buildings