This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3589 / 53°21'32"N
Longitude: -4.2939 / 4°17'38"W
OS Eastings: 247439
OS Northings: 387126
OS Grid: SH474871
Mapcode National: GBR HMRT.RVF
Mapcode Global: WH428.0TKV
Entry Name: Lofted cartshed and cowhouse range at Bodafon Isaf
Listing Date: 7 February 2002
Last Amended: 7 February 2002
Source ID: 26226
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: In an elevated position, set back from the S side of the A5025 between Brynrefail and City Dulas. The range is parallel to and directly W of the farmhouse.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: City Dulas
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early to mid C19 lofted cartshed and stable. The Tithe Map for the parish of Penrhos Lligwy, 1844, shows few buildings and the area is divided into 10 parcels of land, the 3 largest shared between 2 estates. 'Bodafon' is 100 acres (40.5 hectares), with Plas Bodafon marked as the estate centre, owned by William Mason Esq. Bodafon Isaf is one of several properties bearing the 'Bodafon' name and was probably one of the outlying farms of the estate. The Census Returns for the parish, 1841, records the farmer as Griffith Edwards, who lived there with his wife and 3 children; 5 labourers lived in the stable loft. In 1851 the farmer is recorded as being Richard Edwards, farming a holding of 249 acres (100.8 hectares).
The stables were later converted to 2 cowhouses and extended on the same alignment to the W to create a 4 doorway range. Later in the C19 a hammel range was built at right angles to the SW corner of the cowhouse range.
At the E end of the range is a lofted cartshed and stabling for 2 horses. Built of rubble masonry with large quoins and dressed stone voussoir lintels to the shallow arched opening of the loft doorway and cartbay entrance. The cartshed has a grouted roof of small slates to the front (repaired with corrugated metal to the rear), tiled ridge and coping and square squat stack at the W gable. The loft is reached by an external flight of stone steps with recess below. The cartshed entrance opens to the N, and is at the R (W) end; with a single boarded opening to the L which has a large stone lintel and a small louvred opening set under the eaves above.
The linear range to the R (W) has 4 doorways with small windows between, most openings with slate lintels. The rear of the range has had 3 timber framed windows set into enlarged or modern openings. The range is built of rubble masonry, re-roofed with slates.
The hammel range is built of coursed rubble masonry and has a slate roof with tiled ridge and coping. Some of the wide doorways have been partially blocked and modern windows inserted.
The interior of the loft could not be inspected and the ceiling of the cartshed has been renewed. The cowhouse range to the R(W) had chamfered A frame trusses. The interior of the hammel range was not inspected.
Included as a component part of the farmstead group at Bodafon Isaf. Traditional character overall, the finer detail of the lofted cartshed suggests estate involvement and the additions to the range reflect the growth and development of the farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings