This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6712 / 51°40'16"N
Longitude: -3.1974 / 3°11'50"W
OS Eastings: 317291
OS Northings: 197618
OS Grid: ST172976
Mapcode National: GBR HX.5VVM
Mapcode Global: VH6DF.J8J5
Entry Name: Blackwood War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26700
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: At the junction of Lewis Lewis Avenue and Pentwyn Avenue.
Community: Blackwood (Coed Duon)
Built-Up Area: Blackwood
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Unveiled in 1926.
A cenotaph-type war memorial influenced by Lutyens' Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. Of limestone ashlar on a polished granite square base and stepped plinth. The pylon has inscriptions with black letters to the front and sides, while the L side also has a metal plaque with a roll call of the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars. The stepped cap incorporates polished granite bands and pilasters, and 2 wreaths in relief to each face.
The approach is formed of 2 square piers between convex concrete steps. On the L side facing Lewis Avenue is a dwarf wall and ashlar piers framing 3 bays of iron railings incorporating X-shaped panels.
Listed for its social-historical interest and a fine public memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings