This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6825 / 51°40'56"N
Longitude: -3.1924 / 3°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 317657
OS Northings: 198864
OS Grid: ST176988
Mapcode National: GBR HX.59NX
Mapcode Global: VH6D7.MZ52
Entry Name: South Lodge
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26709
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the S side of the main entrance to Maes Manor, on the W side of a minor road between Blackwood and Bedwellty.
Community: Blackwood (Coed Duon)
Locality: Maes Manor
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Originally known as Maesruddud, Maes Manor was built in 1900 as an addition to an earlier house and extended in 1907 when the original house was demolished. The second phase was added for L. Brewer Williams by E.P. Warren, architect of London. Between 1907 and 1914 a number of ancillary buildings and garden structures were built by Warren in collaboration with Thomas Mawson, who designed the garden. The lodges beside the main entrance are dated 1912.
Arts-and-Crafts influenced 2-storey lodge of roughcast walls incorporating rusticated quoins, and replaced concrete tile roof with overhanging eaves and central roughcast stack. The gabled main range facing E has a short wing under a hipped roof set back on the N side, a porch clasped in the angle between main range and N wing, and a single-storey wing with hipped roof set back on the S side. Windows are metal-framed casements incorporating leaded lights. The open lean-to porch has small-pane glazing to the R side on a dwarf wall. The doorway has a boarded door with studs and strap hinges, and an inserted glazed panel. The L side wall has a 2-light window. The main range has a 2-storey canted bay window in its E gable end incorporating 4-light windows, while between storeys is a tablet dated 1912 in raised numerals. The gable is tile hung. The N wing has, in its N wall, a hipped lean-to canopy over a wooden bench, and 3-light upper storey window. Its rear (W) wall has a 2-light window in the lower storey, while the main range has 2-light windows in each storey to the R of the wing. The rear of the main range has a 3-light hipped canted bay window in the lower storey, 4-light window above, and tile-hung gable.
The L (S) side wall of the main range has an external stack cut down to the eaves, beyond which are casement windows, carried above the eaves under a hipped roof in the upper storey. The 2-window single-storey S wing has a gabled canopy over a half-lit boarded door and is flanked by casements. Its side and rear have similar casements.
Listed as one of a pair of lodges retaining original character and an integral component of a small Edwardian country estate representing the early C20 prosperity of the mining industry in S Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings