This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8453 / 51°50'43"N
Longitude: -4.4227 / 4°25'21"W
OS Eastings: 233213
OS Northings: 219076
OS Grid: SN332190
Mapcode National: GBR D9.TX8M
Mapcode Global: VH3LF.9W88
Entry Name: Pontcowin
Listing Date: 8 July 2002
Last Amended: 8 July 2002
Source ID: 26742
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the end of a track some 450m N of the former A40 and approximately 1 km NE of Bancyfelin.
Community: Newchurch and Merthyr (Llannewydd a Merthyr)
Community: Newchurch and Merthyr
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Farmhouse, probably former gentry house, marked on the 1841 Tithe map as Bontcowin and occupied by John Thomas. Occupied by Arthur Thomas, farmer in 1926. The main range to left is said to date from 1620, the service range to right from 1810. The front range has Regency to early Victorian tripartite sashes.
Farmhouse, 2 parallel ranges. Front range whitewashed stucco with slate close eaved roof and 3 small brick chimneys. Two-storey, 3-window main part and one-window service range, added later as there is a straight joint. Single roof. Hornless 12-pane sashes above, tripartite 4-12-4-pane sashes below and door central to main part in red brick late C19 gabled porch. Porch has elliptical arched doorway and shaped bargeboards. Late C19 5-panel door with 5-pane overlight, the panes arch-headed. Slate sills. Service range has door in right end wall. Front garden enclosed in low whitewashed rubble wall with slate coping and hooped late C19 railings with matching gate.
Rear range of whitewashed rubble stone, similar length, but no straight joint. Single roof with 3 brick stacks, that to left truncated. Main part to right has 5 horned 12-pane sashes above, irregularly spaced, one to ground floor right, and one to left, the left one not aligned with windows above. Between is added brick lean-to porch with board door and slate roof. Service part to left has board door and then one similar sash window each floor. All openings have stone voussoirs and slate sills. Door in end wall of service range.
Included, notwithstanding deteriorating condition, as a substantial farmhouse with earlier C19 front of special architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings