This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0844 / 52°5'3"N
Longitude: -4.0065 / 4°0'23"W
OS Eastings: 262613
OS Northings: 244794
OS Grid: SN626447
Mapcode National: GBR DV.BYNZ
Mapcode Global: VH4GY.HVSZ
Entry Name: Gelli Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 September 2002
Last Amended: 6 September 2002
Source ID: 26933
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1.1km WNW of Ffaldybrenin, reached by a short farm road on the W side of minor road from Ffaldybrenin.
Community: Llanycrwys (Llan-crwys)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in 1865 (date on building) and shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey house with attic and basement, of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and slate-hung entrance front. The slate roof is on bracketed eaves and has a pair of stacks in each gable end set below the ridge. These are roughcast except the kitchen stack behind to the L which is larger and of rubble stone. The 3-window entrance front has a half-glazed lean-to porch incorporating fish-scale slates, and double half-lit panelled doors. It is flanked by shallow canted bay windows with 4-pane sashes. In the upper storey are 12-pane hornless sashes. Both gable ends have 12-pane horned sash windows to the attic under cambered stone heads. In the L gable end is a replaced cellar door to the R. In the R gable end is a corresponding camber-headed 12-pane hornless sash window. In the lower storey is a replaced window to the R, to the R of which is a wall that links with the outbuildings.
The 4-window rear has openings under cambered stone heads. In the upper storey are 12-pane hornless sashes. In the lower storey is a replaced door to the L of centre, above which is a stone tablet with the name and date in raised letters and numerals. To the L and R of the doorway are 12-pane horned sash windows, of which the R-hand window, lighting the kitchen, is larger. Outbuildings are attached to the R-hand end.
The house has a double-depth plan with central passage. Principal rooms are at the front with service rooms behind. Inside the porch, the front door has been replaced but retains its original round-headed overlight with Gothic glazing. The front end of the house has a stair hall and a dog-leg stair with plain balusters and turned newel. A half-lit door leads to the service end of the house, where there is a straight stair with plain balusters.
Listed as a substantial C19 farmhouse retaining definite architectural character and C19 detail.
Other nearby listed buildings