History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate of St Tyrnog

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandyrnog, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1757 / 53°10'32"N

Longitude: -3.3365 / 3°20'11"W

OS Eastings: 310766

OS Northings: 365123

OS Grid: SJ107651

Mapcode National: GBR 6R.3S0Y

Mapcode Global: WH772.QFCS

Entry Name: Lychgate of St Tyrnog

Listing Date: 22 October 2002

Last Amended: 22 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 27007

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: At north-west of St Tyrnog's churchyard

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llandyrnog

Community: Llandyrnog

Locality: Llandyrnog Village

Built-Up Area: Llandyrnog

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llandyrnog

History

Designed by W E Nesfield as part of the restoration of St Tyrnog, completed in 1878.

Exterior

A simple lychgate consisting of a slated timber roof, on principal rafters tied by collar beams at front and rear, standing on stone side walls. The side walls are of axe-dressed masonry with ashlar piers to front and rear. The front and rear trusses have collar beams, the panels above which are carved into trefoils.

Cast iron gates in Gothic style between stone posts.

Reasons for Listing

A simple lychgate by W E Nesfield, listed also for group value with St. Tyrnog's church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Tyrnog
    In village of Llandyrnog, in a graveyard which now extends beyond a lane to the east; part lost to road widening at west. Stone churchyard wall with steps up at west; war memorial and sundial within t
  • II Nos 4 and 5 Church Square, Llandyrnog
    In the village of Llandyrnog, on the west side of the village street opposite the church.
  • II Sundial in St Tyrnog's Churchyard
    Close to the south-west corner of St Tyrnog's Church.
  • II War Memorial
    In the churchyard of St Tyrnog, to the west side of the church.
  • II Plas Bennett
    ½km south-west of the village of Llandyrnog; former farm buildings to rear
  • II Capel y Dyffryn
    ¾ km north of Llandyrnog village, west of the crossroads, at south side of road. Low wall and railings at front; former manse and school/vestry at west.
  • II Ty Capel y Dyffryn
    To the side of Capel Dyffryn, to which it is linked by a wall; similar low wall and railings at front to those of the chapel.
  • II Cerrigllwydion Hall
    Located at the northern boundary of the community, set back from the road within its own grounds; accessed via a drive leading from a lodge on the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.