This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6471 / 51°38'49"N
Longitude: -3.0089 / 3°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 330291
OS Northings: 194734
OS Grid: ST302947
Mapcode National: GBR J5.7FVN
Mapcode Global: VH79Z.SVPQ
Entry Name: Llanyrafon Mill
Listing Date: 23 October 2002
Last Amended: 29 August 2003
Source ID: 27026
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Set back in angle between Llan-yr-avon Way and Llanfrechfa Way.
Built-Up Area: Cwmbran
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mill, late C18 to early C19, burnt 1971, partly restored subsequently. A mill is possibly recorded in C14, recorded on present site in 1632, part of the Llanyrafon estate of the Griffiths family. Sold with estate in 1892 to Richard Leybourne, and given to his daughter, married to A. Pilliner of Llantarnam Grange. Sold in 1921 to the tenant family, the Waits who operated the mill until bought by the Cwmbran Development Corporation in 1951. Since 1995 under restoration by the Friends of Llanyrafon Mill. The wooden parts of the machinery were mostly lost in the fire, the iron work that survives is C19. There were three sets of stones.
Water-powered corn mill, whitewashed rubble stone with some render and C20 close-eaved slate roof. The mill is aligned NW to SE. Two storeys to NE side, three to SW side with the water wheel and SE entrance end. Windows are small with red brick cambered heads, late C20 glazing. SE end has stone gabled porch with broad-cambered headed entry with yellow brick head, and small ground floor window to left. Large cambered-headed loft window in gable. SW side has rendered upper wall set back from stonework on irregular line, presumably rebuilt after collapse. Broad water wheel of cast-iron with metal paddles, the cast iron inner and outer faces are unusually each in two half-round sections bolted together. Timber shaft lost in fire. Concrete launder. First floor has 4 cambered-headed windows, the second and fourth larger. NE elevation of 4 bays with 4 cambered-headed upper windows, all but third one blocked, and ground floor (first floor of SW side) has one similar window to left and 2 windows to right of large loading door. Stone sills.
Within SE porch is cambered-headed door with brick head. Interior has stone flags to ground floor and no upper floors. C20 roof structure replaced after 1971 fire. Two burnt beams around iron pit-wheel and two horizontal wheels. Cast-iron tall vertical shaft with one wheel at top.
Included as a substantial late C18 to early C19 corn-mill retaining the water wheel and some machinery.
Other nearby listed buildings