This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6452 / 51°38'42"N
Longitude: -3.0164 / 3°0'59"W
OS Eastings: 329766
OS Northings: 194533
OS Grid: ST297945
Mapcode National: GBR J4.7KZM
Mapcode Global: VH79Z.NXP5
Entry Name: Court Road Industrial Estate Sign
Listing Date: 5 August 2019
Source ID: 87770
Building Class: Transport
Location: At the NE corner of a roundabout on Llantarnam Road and Court Road, at the entrance to Court Road Industrial Estate.
Community: Cwmbran Central (Cwmbrân - Canol)
Built-Up Area: Cwmbran
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The new town of Cwmbran was established as part of post war planning policies intended to tackle housing issues and congestion in existing urban environments. The New Towns Act was passed in 1946 and the area north of Newport up to Pontypool around the villages of Cwmbran, Pontnewydd and Croesyceiliog was identified for the development of a new town. The Cwmbran Development Corporation (CDC) was set up in 1949 tasked with developing this and providing it with housing, social and commercial facilities for the population employed in the existing and proposed industry in the area. It was the only major town in Wales established under the Act.
At the point of designation of the new town there were around 30 factories in the area employing over 15000 people. The population was 13,000 and it was planned to rise to 35,000, eventually during the 1980s this figure was raised to 45 then 55,000. A Master Plan was drawn up by the planners Minoprio, Spencely and Macfarlane of London and adopted by CDC in March 1951. It attempted to integrate the new town with the landscape of the area and the areas of existing development.
The area was assigned separate residential neighbourhoods (7) that it was intended would be developed as self contained units incorporating sites for education, shopping and community facilities and providing connecting road links to the centre of the town and employment areas. It was envisaged that the development would benefit existing industry in providing modern housing for workers, areas for expansion and improved transport links. New areas of industrial development were also provided, primarily on brownfield sites, to encourage new employment.
The Court Road Industrial Estate was developed on the site of the Star Brick and Tile works. The Star works had been established in Llantarnam from the late C19 with clay and sandstone extracted on site. The company later spread to other works across S Wales, shifting production to sanitary ware and pipes with activity on the Court Road site declining during the 1960s and the subsequent development of the Llantarnam works from this period as the Court Road Industrial Estate by CDC. The sign belongs to phase 3 of the development of the estate, constructed probably 1985.
Road sign, tall 3-sided structure of box section painted steel. Rectangular panels in the flat sided lozenges with upstanding surround, supported on tapered legs continuing upwards above panels and enclosing a flat steel singing Cwmbran crow. Each panel is attached to its adjacent panel at the corners. Panels coloured red with white lettering ‘Court Road Industrial Estate’.
Included for its special architectural interest as a highly distinctive sign, a classic example of post war design that exemplifies the spirit of the age of the Cwmbran new town development. The establishment of Cwmbran as the only major new town in Wales was a significant event in the post war period and was a major landmark in planning and development in Wales. This sign is of special historic interest as a rare surviving example of street furniture from the development of the new town, a type of sign used elsewhere in the industrial estates in the town and intended to promote the key role of industrial estates in that development.
Other nearby listed buildings