This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8716 / 51°52'17"N
Longitude: -4.1517 / 4°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 251959
OS Northings: 221417
OS Grid: SN519214
Mapcode National: GBR DN.SBTN
Mapcode Global: VH3LK.Z7H1
Entry Name: Red Lion
Listing Date: 1 April 2003
Last Amended: 1 April 2003
Source ID: 81016
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N side of the churchyard, and the S side of the main road through the village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Shown on the 1839 Tithe map as the Red Lion Inn, when it incorporated a malthouse. The present building is probably a rebuilding of the mid C19 and originally had a rear wing, shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey 3-window former public house of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and slate roof with end stone stacks. Openings are offset to the L and are unequally placed. A central gabled canopy has diamond-pattern slates above a panelled door with plain overlight. Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes with stone lintels. The roughcast L gable end has a lower added garage in line. In the R gable end, facing the entrance to the churchyard, is an 8-pane sash window lower L and a pantry window lower R retaining original mesh. The rear has an added raked dormer incorporating 3 2-light small-pane casements.
Listed as a well-detailed C19 former public house contributing to the overall historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings