History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables and coach house at Tawelfan

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanegwad, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8725 / 51°52'21"N

Longitude: -4.1507 / 4°9'2"W

OS Eastings: 252032

OS Northings: 221513

OS Grid: SN520215

Mapcode National: GBR DN.SC29

Mapcode Global: VH4J1.06JC

Entry Name: Stables and coach house at Tawelfan

Listing Date: 1 April 2003

Last Amended: 1 April 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81018

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the rear (W) of the house.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llanegwad

Community: Llanegwad

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llanarthney

History

Built in the mid C19 and first shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.

Exterior

A 2-storey stable and coach house behind the house, attached to the S side of which is an lower single-storey L-shaped range, of rubble stone with lighter dressings and quoins, and slate roof. Openings have cambered or flat arches. The higher range behind the house has a tack-room doorway to the R, stable doorway with 2-light casement to its L, then wider and taller coach house doorway with keyed head with drip mould and replaced double doors. All have boarded doors and strap hinges. In the R gable end are external stone steps to a boarded door under a brick head. To the L of the steps is a small tack room window. In the L gable end are external stone steps to a boarded door, rising above a stone mounting block.

Set back to the L is the lower L-shaped range with 2 camber-headed doorways and boarded doors. A narrow window is to the R of the R-hand, and a wider window L of the L-hand, which has a steel mesh. The return elevation has a boarded door to the R, then double boarded doors for a cart, blocked vent strip and then split boarded door to the L end, where the roof is half-hipped. The rear has a 2-light casement to the R replacing an earlier doorway, vent strips and lean-to greenhouse.

Interior

The tack room is panelled and retains a small fireplace. The cart shed has a cobbled floor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-detailed and well-preserved outbuilding contributing to the historic character of the house, and for its contribution to the overall historic integrity of the village.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tawelfan
    In its own grounds approximately 200m NE of the parish church and on the S side of the road through the village.
  • II Ty Llandre
    Approximately 80m NNE of the parish church on the N side of the road through the village.
  • II Red Lion
    On the N side of the churchyard, and the S side of the main road through the village.
  • II Mounting block at N entrance to Llanegwad churchyard
    On the N side of the churchyard and immediately W of Red Lion.
  • II Church of St Egwad
    On S side of village, in a churchyard overlooking Vale of River Tywi.
  • II Cresselly Arms
    Abutting the NE side of Pont-ar-Gothi.
  • II Pont-ar-Gothi
    Spanning Afon Cothi in the centre of Pontargothi.
  • II* Church of the Holy Trinity
    About 1km NE of Pontargothi, in churchyard on the E side of a minor road and N bank of Afon Cothi.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.