This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8345 / 52°50'4"N
Longitude: -4.1088 / 4°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 258040
OS Northings: 328420
OS Grid: SH580284
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.TJDK
Mapcode Global: WH565.V0MS
Entry Name: Bark mill at Argoed
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81070
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: In a rural location, set above and well back from the NE side of the A496 to SSE of Llanfair. The mill is to the NE of the farmhouse and the most northeasterly of the farm buildings at Argoed.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C18 or early C19 tannery which provided employment for several men in the village of Llanfair. The bark mill was driven by a water wheel manufactured in Aberystwyth.
John Griffith seems to have taken over the tannery at Argoed after John Richard Pugh''''''''s death in 1837, and was a yearly tenant of the ''Tanhouse Bark Mill Tapits and Tanning premises at Argoed''. He appears to have sold his interest in the tannery to William Pugh in 1852 (for £320) in order to repay part of a debt of £500. The tannery had ceased to operated by 1867 and later the mill machinery was used to churn the butter in the farmhouse.
The slate-lined tan pits were still in place until after the Second World War but have since been filled in.
Small rural bark mill and tannery building comprising single storey range aligned roughly N-S with small range set at a lower level to front (SE) corner to form an L-shaped plan. Built of roughly coursed rubble masonry with large stones as quoins and lintels; roof of small slates with stone copings to the gables of the main range. The principal elevations face the farmyard and farmhouse to the E and there is central doorway in the N-S range and a further doorway offset to the N end of the E gable of the lower range. There is a single window opening in the rear (W) wall of the N-S range (unglazed).
The interior of the bark mill could not be inspected at the time of the survey, but the article in the Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society, 1990-93, records that the mill wheel is still in situ (as reported by the current owner).
Included as an excellent example of a small rural bark mill which retains a strong vernacular character. Forms an integral component of the complete farmstead group at Argoed.
Other nearby listed buildings