This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8447 / 52°50'41"N
Longitude: -4.1149 / 4°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 257658
OS Northings: 329565
OS Grid: SH576295
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.SWCY
Mapcode Global: WH55Z.RRPJ
Plus Code: 9C4QRVVP+V2
Entry Name: Tan y Buarth and Prysg
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 14 December 2005
Source ID: 81093
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set alongside the W side of the road leading up the hill N out of the village of Llanfair; just to N of the turn off to the Pant-yr-onnen estate.
Built-Up Area: Harlech
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C18 or early C19 labourers cottages. Prysg, Buarthiau and Buarth Isaf have all been names of the row of cottages opposite Ty'n y Buarth, 4 of which are known now as Tan y Buarth - the fifth retains the name Prysg.
The row was not named in the tithe apportionment of the parish, 1849, but is recorded as being owned by Robert Humphreys and occupied by Lewis Richards.
In 1939 both top cottages were purchased by Captain Ravenhill, and after the war the lower 2 (both by then condemned) were acquired and internal access created between all four.
Linear range of cottages, originally a row of 4, aligned roughly N-S upslope, with modern single storey lean-to addition at S end. The main part of the range (to N) comprises 2 single storey cottages to R (N) and 2 x 2-storey cottages; each a single window range with doorways to R (N) and stacks to L. Built of quarried masonry with large stones as quoins and lintels. Slate roof with stone copings at N gable, stone stacks with dripstones and capping. Most of the windows are 4-pane sashes with slate sills, the N window along the range is a paired window of 2-pane horned sash windows.
Extended by the addition of a single window cottage at S end which has tall casement windows, the first floor window breaking the eaves line. Entry to the S cottage is through the lean-to porch addition which has a doorway in the S wall and a window to E. The gable stack to L (S) is partially rendered.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed as a good range of workers cottages which retain a strong vernacular character in the retention of plan, form and fenestration.
Other nearby listed buildings